Subtitles

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
donkeykog

Subtitles

Post by donkeykog »   0 likes

There is some info that is always included in posts like year and country. I would like to request that info on subs be included going forward. Info like, No Subs, English Subs, Spanish Subs. Even Not Sure. We just start from now on. There are so many movies I may be passing on cause subs info is not included. Most of the time I only can tell if in the screenshots I see them.

Phuzzy once said on another topic (paraphrazing) "I don't see the point in downloading a whole movie for just a few small scenes." I agree with him and add that for me I feel the same way on a movie that I cannot understand. At least I would like to know through the info given if that will be the case before dowloading.

I reference - S tebou me baví svet (1983) (https://www.first-loves.com/forums/v ... f=10&t=782)

This is the kind of movie I would pass up on not knowing whether it has Eng subs. I have this movie with English subs but don't know if I should upload it. Yes, I can ask, but I know from other discussions (Emuler vs PTG) that can get old and bumps newer posts with no new info.

I think subs are important info and frequently enough requested that they should become a regular part the posts info.

Thanks guys for all the posts! :D

I hope that the other members can comment their yes or no. As few of us post it would be really easy for us to add this info on our posts. And when Admin is teaching others how to post, it can added to the info given to new posters along with things like a release has to have an emule.

I am hoping that we can all get on board with this! :D
vidman49

Re: Subtitles

Post by vidman49 »   1 likes

I will usually download a movie if it looks good, even if it does not have subtitles. I have a lot of external hard drive space, and a lot of times subtitles will show up later or can be found on another site that specializes in subtitles. Every once in a while I while go through my list and check for subtitles through google. A while back I found subtitles for about 12 films and posted the subtitles on FLM quite a while after the movie was posted. Subtitles usually don't show up on older movies or television episode, but with newer movies there is always a good chance they will show later.

Also, if you have English subtitles for S tebou me bavi svet - could you post them (or are they hard coded?). It looks like a movie worth watching but I will not watch it until I get subtitles for it.

I do like your idea of mentioning if subtitles are included though. I usually mention if subs are available when I post a foreign movie. (Foreign to me, anyway).
donkeykog

Thanks Vidman so you are for it being info that is part of a post?

This is for a change in policy that makes it a rule change that we include for everyone what kind of subs if any are included in posts.

It is not to say that any post is not good without subs. Just that we all know in advance an important part of information before spending the sometimes massive amount of time downloading. :D

Thanks Vidman for commenting, you are a great asset to this community and I hope I can give some great documentaries for you in the future!
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

The old saying "beggars can't be choosers" applies. If someone goes to the trouble of posting/releasing something, are we going to say to them "that's a crappy post and we don't want it here because you didn't tell us whether there are subtitles for it" or are we going to take what we can get? Generally, if subtitles were found, the releaser posted them too. If not, there's nothing stopping someone from posting them later.

For a large number of releases, especially in the earlier days, the poster didn't give anything more than a film's title and everyone else had to look up the info for it. I spent months finding and posting info and synopses for a lot of films here and it's nowhere near complete. It'd be terrific if every one of the films here had all the info laid out in the exact same format including screenshots but it isn't going to happen. I'm happy if I get at least enough info to decide whether it's worth the time and bandwidth to get the film.

I've watched hundreds of foreign-language (to me) films without subtitles. I know I don't get the full impact of them, but most are understandable enough to enjoy. Don't let the lack of subtitles stop you if the film's synopsis looks interesting.
donkeykog

I am a begger and I can choose.

I choose not to dowload something I can not understand.

Vidman said
Also, if you have English subtitles for S tebou me bavi svet - could you post them (or are they hard coded?). It looks like a movie worth watching but I will not watch it until I get subtitles for it.

With all do respect as I know Phuzzy has had to deal with more then enough from my past me. I think oldschool is not newschool here. This is the new FLM. And yes in the older days crappy quality and no subs may have been ok. But many of us don't have the space on disk to hold things until we get subs. Hell I am struggling with what I have posted as people are still hitting me on stuff on emule posted back when I was funnydog, and I cannot yet delete.

I used Vidmans post without permission. Sorry Vidman.
Last edited by donkeykog on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

donkeykog wrote:With all do respect as I know Phuzzy has had to deal with more then enough from my past me. I think oldschool is not newschool here. This is the new FLM. And yes in the older days crappy quality and no subs may have been ok. But many of us don't have the space on disk to hold things until we get subs.
While such info is always welcome, we're not going to require someone to post it. It's your own decision whether you download someone's postings. I appreciate and welcome anyone's efforts, whether I download their files or not.
donkeykog wrote:Hell I am struggling with what I have posted as people are still hitting me on stuff on emule posted back when I was funnydog, and I cannot yet delete
You can remove things from sharing and your hard drive by looking in eMule's Shared Files list in the Complete Sources column. Anything with more than 1 source is also being shared by someone else.
donkeykog

we're not going to require someone to post it.
Bad form as only one person has added info. I figure you misread? Sorry I was not clear...I wanted it to be a new thing that we all agreed upon on giving info on subs! I think it should be required to at least say you don't know! Before we spend the time downloading.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I find this site very useful:
http://www.subtitleseeker.com/
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   1 likes

Thanks Emular, but the point is this is OUR site.

Our site.

and its our time...

OUR time

I take pride in posting here!

I refuse to ride a bucket up a well like in Goonies!

Edit: Apparently some thought I lost my mind above, but this was a take on the famous seen from Goonies.
Last edited by donkeykog on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
donkeykog

Subtitle meeting

As requested by pm..I set up an official request with the Admins for a subtitle request.

I request that subs be a added info to the project like country and year. Many of us only download what we understand. This is not to say that other downloads are not important! Those in forigien tongues. Just that before we spend the hours downloading from emule we undertand what we are getting/

Please let all further communication on this matter be public.