[REL] Ohikkoshi (1993)

Rich

[REL] Ohikkoshi (1993)

Post by Rich »   0 likes

Ohikkoshi (1993)

[Image]

[Image]
Of all the wonderful foreign "family films" that have never been distributed in the West, Ohikkoshi is the film whose neglect is most mystifying to me. It is almost certainly the best film ever made (to date) on the impact of divorce on a child. It manages to be both honest and yet still (ultimately) hopeful It is beautifully filmed -- and its star, twelve year-old Tomoko Tabata, gives one of the best performances by a child ever captured on film. In addition, it may be the only live-action film that seems to have both been inspired by the work of Ghibli Studios (particularly Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday) and provided a source of inspiration in return (to Miyazaki's Spirited Away).

Renko's parents both seem to be decent enough people and both love her well enough -- but they just can't stand living together any longer. At first, Renko seems (relatively) unflustered by her father's move to an apartment in another part of town. But she begins getting into trouble at school, and also starts dreaming up schemes to reunite her parents. The culmination of her efforts is a visit to Lake Biwa for a fire festival, an event she attended when she was younger (before her family life became troubled by parental discord). Initially a bit amused by her daughter's somewhat underhanded shenanigans, Renko's mother (former pop music star Junko Sakurada) gets extremely upset when she discovers her daughter has invited her father (Kiichi Nakai) as well. After being reassured by her father that he still loves her, she sets off for a solo odyssey. Along the way, she is temporarily "adopted" by an elderly couple she meets by chance. After a frantic search, her mother catches sight of her at nightfall -- only to be told "I'll see you tomorow morning" as Renko slips away again (after promising her protectors that she'd see them again next year). She spends the night at the fire festival, in a bamboo forest on a hill overlooking the festival site (where she prays to the moon), and then on the shore of Lake Biwa -- where she falls asleep and dreams. In the morning, as Renko warms herself over a little fire she made, she is greeted by her mother. Having finally confronted the reality of her situation, Renko is ready to return to school -- where she must make a speech about her family (which she had previously dreaded) and get ready for the passing from elementary school to middle school.

"Ohikkoshi" as used in the film's title literally means "moving" as in "moving from one place to another". Metaphorically, it stands for the heroine's from one situation (and state of mind) to another. As noted above. As with Miyazaki in Spirited Away (another film that centers around "moving"), the young heroine's process of growth and transformation is totally entwined with Shinto motifs and concepts. If this film were ever to appear on DVD in the West, a comprehensive primer on Shintoism and Shinto rites would probably enrich viewers' experience considerably.

Alas, at present, the film is only available as a barebones, unsubbed Japanese DVD of decent (but not superlative) quality. To complicate matters more, the film makes considerable use of Kansai dialects, so even students of Japanese might find some of the dialog rough going. On the other hand, most of the last 45 minutes of the film (which covers Renko's solo quest) are virtually wordless. I recently showed the film to a friend who doesn't understand Japanese, and he was nonetheless left in awe by it. Unfortunately, its creator Shinji Sômai died in 2001 at much too young an age (early 50s), so the film must depend on well-wishers to promote it (and Sômai's other important, but now-neglected films -- such as Typhoon Club). Surely, someday, some enterprising Western DVD company will belatedly discover this remarkable (and indispensable) film and make it available.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107736/

Rich

Re: [REQ] Ohikkoshi (1993)

Post by Rich »   0 likes

moviegirls wrote:Ohikoshi (Moving) - Tomoko Tabata (11)
Got to find this! .... :)
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   1 likes

Interesting write up on the movie and dvd. http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... php?t=3469

Tomoko Tabata is the girl

Trailer 1

Trailer 2
Pardal2008

Post by Pardal2008 »   1 likes

Thanks ptguardian for the reminder and for the info ;)
Pardal
All the little girls are in love only to me
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   1 likes

Pardal2008 wrote:Thanks ptguardian for the reminder and for the info ;)
Pardal
Me and phuzzy go through a lot of the old [REQ] to entice and make it easier for people to find them, I would rather have someone adding the film here than thanking us for bumping it. Thanks for the thanks but....I am only bumping, plenty of actual releases that can be thanked for. ;)

:D
kev
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Ohikkoshi (1993)

Post by kev »   50 likes

ptguardian wrote:...I would rather have someone adding the film here than thanking us for bumping it...:D
In that case, I'll add the film then... :thumbsup

ed2k Link:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.65 Gb]

Pix:
[Image]

[Image][Image][Image][Image]

.........................................A little...'Daughter / Daddy' bonding............................................ ;) :lol:

Amazing little coming-of-age film!

I honestly don't know how I came about this file... I thought I got it from here, but when I checked I found that it hasn't been posted yet. :think (There's probably tons of files for this now, I haven't really searched...)

Anyway, it's well worth watching; 12yo Tomoko Tabata has tons of screen time and is an enchanting actress.. I wanted to hold her and hug her and keep her safe... (As creepy as that sounds... :lol: )

This film most deservedly belongs here at FLM!

(English subs are [somewhat] hardcoded. [However when I used 'Gom' player, they didn't show up... :think] )

kev.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Thanks, kev. Witwer mit 5 Töchtern is just now finishing downloading. :D
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

While digging around my movie collections on older hard drives, I came across a DVD9 image of this (is image the right term? it isn't an iso file, it's just simply a folder with "VIDEO_TS" in it). The movie looks really good. I just wanted to offer a few possible upgrades to this one. This is a movie where I am drawn in right away, even by the adult characters, but especially with precocious little Ren's father, who captures you with a faraway, resigned look in his eyes. Ren is also quite a fun, spunky main girl!

Here is a uloz link that claims to be 720p, English hardsubs, 3.2gb listed:
https://ulozto.net/file/6nZfIhGVXvLI/oh ... 993-hd-mp4
- This is 720p indeed, but I cannot honestly tell you it looks any better than the DVD9 that I have. The image is cleaner and brighter, but I cannot tell if it has more detail.

More uloz, possibly higher quality, 720p, 3.9gb listed, 3.62 in hard drive:
https://ulozto.net/file/5e1eDbb51cmm/ohikkoshi-1993-mkv
- This seems like it'll be higher quality than the previous, but the size bears a resemblance to the vendigo file on rutracker, which carries a Russian VO along with original audio and English subs. I am downloading the rutracker file as well to properly compare.

Rutracker link, 720p, 3.77gb, claims to be a web-dl, has Russian VO and original audio + English subs:
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5106912
- This also seems like it will be a good quality file. Downloading it as well. If you wish to download this one, you can merge the trackers from solidtorrents as well.

Screen from the DVD9:

[Image] [Image]

Screens from the first-linked uloz file preview:

[Image] [Image]

Wow look at the brightness difference. I prefer my videos slightly bright, so they darker areas aren't washed out, but I prefer my monitor brightness as low as humanly possible. Not sure which of these I like most, though the DVD9 really isn't as dark as the comparison makes it seem.
Last edited by pillowbaker on Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Cool, I want this! I am downloading your 2nd Ulozto link, with the higher bitrate and optional English subtitles. If you find a better version then let us know. I will let you be the one to download 6 different versions for this movie.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:15 am Cool, I want this! I am downloading your 2nd Ulozto link, with the higher bitrate and optional English subtitles. If you find a better version then let us know. I will let you be the one to download 6 different versions for this movie.
Yup, understood, I'll take the trouble for that this time. The second uloz link is definitely the place to start. I suspect it'll be the same as the rutracker file, or very similar, so it may have a Russian VO as well. The rutracker has finished downloading for me, and I'll post about its qualities. But I think I'm done for the night.