Bad username??

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
winski

Re: Bad username??

Post by winski »   1 likes

loverboy wrote:ALONG WITH IDENTIFYING YOURSELF WITH YOUR FLM USERNAME IN YOUR EMULE NICK
I can understand that some people don't want to use their FLM username for security reasons. Why would anybody care who is downloading from them :roll:

You also kick unidentified sources when downloading stuff yourself?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

It's a "perk" because when we see someone with "[FLM]" in their nick we often give them a friend slot - we're friendly people. :) This devotes more bandwidth to them (they get bytes faster) and also allows them to download more than 9MB at a time (they don't have to go to the end of the queue so often).

I don't usually kick people, but if I have two people trying to use my bandwidth and only one of them has ever contributed anything back, who do you think gets preferred treatment?
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

^. Plus, we like to favour people who will help to spread the file. Too many people just unshare it as soon as they complete. :wall

We don't have to actually kick people - the credit system built into the eMule client takes care of that - but a friend slot is a great thing to get. :D
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

winski wrote:
loverboy wrote:ALONG WITH IDENTIFYING YOURSELF WITH YOUR FLM USERNAME IN YOUR EMULE NICK
I can understand that some people don't want to use their FLM username for security reasons. Why would anybody care who is downloading from them :roll:

You also kick unidentified sources when downloading stuff yourself?
Unless somebody is downloading something very popular/recent with a high risk of copyright infringement detection I can't understand why anyone would be concerned about using a nick that refers to FLM.....of course they may be supplementing their ed2k diet with something less savoury.....?

No, I don't kick unidentified sources when downloading material myself but this is because I am a releaser, not a downloader. Although I have been connected to eMule 24/7 for some weeks now the last time I downloaded anything whatsoever was probably in excess of 3 weeks ago. I think this entitles me to decide where my upload is going to be directed.

My purpose is the distribution of material & those with a good record of contributing and/or sharing will ALWAYS get preferential treatment.....and yes, somebody got the boot to get emuler started but he has an excellent record & life can sometimes be just tough!

lb
winski

loverboy wrote:No, I don't kick unidentified sources when downloading material myself but this is because I am a releaser, not a downloader. Although I have been connected to eMule 24/7 for some weeks now the last time I downloaded anything whatsoever was probably in excess of 3 weeks ago. I think this entitles me to decide where my upload is going to be directed.
Unless you are sharing your own material, you must have downloaded it from somewhere...
loverboy wrote:My purpose is the distribution of material & those with a good record of contributing and/or sharing will ALWAYS get preferential treatment.....
If you don't download anything, why do you care about contributions :roll:
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   1 likes

No point in responding to this cretin.....they're either on the wind-up or clearly in total ignorance of what goes on around here.

lb
winski

Post by winski »   0 likes

Uploading to selected users kind of defeats the purpose of p2p. If the "releaser" kicks me, he probably doesn't deserve my "like" either. And I'm not going to identify myself, because I might be actually sharing a lot of material with high risk of copyright infringement detection and my IP is nobody's business.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   1 likes

This deja vu has deja vu :roll:

If only there was a filter for... :icon_poke
winski

BTW, I have nothing against loverboy in personal (don't even know him). Keep up the good work and don't pay too much attention to my rumblings :thumbsup