Changing to a different eMule client

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Changing to a different eMule client

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   3 likes

There are so many mods of the original eMule client available that it can be hard to choose between them until you try them out. Considering how 'cranky' some systems can be about getting connected and transferring at the best speed possible, many people are reluctant to mess with what they're using now. This short tutorial shows how easy it is to try a different mod without screwing up what you already have. If the following doesn't work, you can easily return to what you were doing because you're not touching your original setup and can use it again if necessary.

NOTE: If you keep your Shared folder inside your eMule client's folder, you might consider giving it its own folder off the root so it's easier to find. The Shared and Temp folders don't have to be inside the client's folder. I use E:\Movies for the shared folder - stuff I've looked at already and want to keep. I use E:\Incoming for where files are moved when they complete and I haven't looked at them yet. E:\Incoming\temp is used for the temp folder for files that haven't completed yet. You may want to do this BEFORE changing clients so you know it's all working correctly first.
  1. Copy the entire folder of your current eMule client to a new folder with a different name. For example, copy C:\DreamMule to C:\Morph. You're doing this so all your current settings will be reused by the new client and you'll keep all your "points", etc.
  2. Download the client you want to try out - DON'T download the "installer" version, get the one that has just the binaries.
  3. Read the ReadMe file to see if there's anything unusual you need to know.
  4. Extract ONLY the binary file(s), usually emule.exe and maybe a few .dll's into the new client's folder (for example C:\Morph) replacing the ones that's there.
  5. Create a shortcut on your desktop (or wherever you had your original client's shortcut) to the new emule.exe.
  6. Start the NEW client. Unless the ReadMe specifically told you to, don't make any other changes to the client setup yet.
  7. Go online and see if it's all working. It will probably take off from where you stopped the old client.
  8. You WILL get a new client ID hash so you will no longer be in other people's friends lists. Most of the time I look for the [FLM] tag next to someone's nick so I know they should be friended (for example 'phuzzy4242 [FLM]').
  9. Once everything is working as expected you can check out the new client's features. Some (like kad) are 'must-haves', others may be useful to some people but not others.
  10. You can leave the original client as-is until you're sure you like the new one better and delete it later.
If things don't go as expected, you run into snags, or you just don't like the new client, you can always go back to your original client
emuler

Re: [REL] Wish You Well (2013)

Post by emuler »   1 likes

I might have encountered a bug in the emule xtreme mod which capped my uploads to 15KB/s per slot. :icon_killcomputer :wall I have now switched to the MorphXT mod hoping it will work better. Anyone who was downloading my file, please try again. :oops:
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I'm using XdP and it does NOT cap upload speed - I commonly see 150KB/s. It's been pretty stable since I started using it 6 or 7 months ago. The only quirk I've noticed is it doesn't seem to download the first chunk first so it takes a while to preview stuff, but I can live with that. Xtreme, Scar, even MorphXT started screwing up on me. You realize eMule will share whatever is in the share folders even if you switch versions? People don't have to start over.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I'm NOT a happy camper. The downloads are working great, but I'm struggling with uploads.
1. Xtreme mod worked fine for a day, then started capping my uploads to 15KB/s
2. MorphXT is refusing to connect to ANY decent server. Unchecking Use smart LowID check on connect and Safe connect didn't work this time like it did for Xtreme.
Going to try XdP next.
Maybe I' should just try the vanilla emule and see how that goes.

Btw. could you move these last few posts to a troubleshooting thread? Needlessly cluttering up a release thread. Thanks.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Yee-haw! Now running eMule v0.60a BETA x64.

[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

emuler wrote:Yee-haw! Now running eMule v0.60a BETA x64.

[Image]
:thumbsup

I never heard of this mod before.

I am still using 0.50a SBI leecher mod ;)
emuler

Re: Changing to a different eMule client

After having been spoiled by the excellent transfer characteristics the past couple of days. things are now back to how I remember eMule from earlier days. The file I'm currently downloading has one source that transfers to me at an astonishing 4kB/s, with plenty of waiting between chunks, so the ETA is about 15 days. :D :lol: :roll: Boy! does that take me back. :lol:
emuler

ghost wrote:
emuler wrote:Yee-haw! Now running eMule v0.60a BETA x64.

[Image]
:thumbsup

I never heard of this mod before.
https://forum.emule-project.net/index.p ... pic=165281
emuler

Does anyone have information on how many files LowID users are supposed to share? I'm concerned I might be getting banned by servers for sharing too many, as there is a limit on server traffic for LowID users.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

emuler wrote:Does anyone have information on how many files LowID users are supposed to share? I'm concerned I might be getting banned by servers for sharing too many, as there is a limit on server traffic for LowID users.
I have LowID after my ISP changed things and I've got at least 6000 files shared. I'm not having any problems incoming or outgoing other than it takes longer.