Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
jrobertson

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by jrobertson »   1 likes

As a newbie hoping to get involved with this site, I must say this is all extraordinarily complicated. Not a complaint, exactly -- I understand that e-mule has major advantages. But man, I've never encountered technology so complicated.

I did every step of that detailed step-by-step (thanks), which was more than I have ever done to install anything on a computer, and it was still insufficient. I cannot establish a connection with any server. Apparently, this is because I need to train my router ... or program it ... or whatever.

Per another site, I need to do this -

Follow these steps

Choose any random port number ( > 1024 and UN-reserved ) e.g. 29123 and then go to your router's home page ( that is the same as your IP address's Gateway ). To find this information run the following in a command promptipconfig /all ( assume you are running an NT based OS ) and find your netwwork adapter's gateway address.
type the gateway address in your browser's address URL e.g. 192.168.1.1
Now you need to ensure that your PC ALWAYS has the same LAN IP everytime its connected. Most routers will let you do it in the LAN options section. Consult your router's documentation for this
Usually the advanced option in your router has port forwarding. Take your PC's IP Address and denote that IP address as RESERVED .
Now you are ready to port forward. This is USUALLY In the advanced section of the router, where it may have other options like DDNS QOS etc. In the port forwarding section for both UDP and TCP add the source and destination as the IP address of your PC for that specific Port # e.g. 29123
Save settings and reboot router.
Now go to Emule and uncheck option for UPNP forwarding and add that port number as your static port.
Do a port test.You should be good like 95% times.For the rest your ISP may 'smell' the usage for that specific IP port and may block it and you would need to change it every now and often HTH Sam

The advanced section of the router? Port forward? Man oh man. Talk about the opposite of plug-and-play!

Well maybe I will figure it out, someday. If I do, I have some good films to contribute to the community.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

jrobertson wrote:As a newbie hoping to get involved with this site, I must say this is all extraordinarily complicated. Not a complaint, exactly -- I understand that e-mule has major advantages. But man, I've never encountered technology so complicated.
[SNIP]
The advanced section of the router? Port forward? Man oh man. Talk about the opposite of plug-and-play!

Well maybe I will figure it out, someday. If I do, I have some good films to contribute to the community.
You could probably leave everything at defaults until you're more comfortable with eMule but it'll take much longer to receive and share files with other people until you open ports on your router. Most home routers are set up to protect you from intrusions by bad guys - hackers, thieves, viruses, government agencies, and other pond scum. You have to open two ports for eMule to use.

Everything coming into or out of your computer uses a port - 21 for FTP, 80 for HTTP, etc. are open in your router by default. Port forwarding tells your router to let eMule data through directly instead of it using the generic ports. The generics work but take a lot longer because your eMule can't communicate directly with other eMule people - a server has to arbitrate the connection. That's the nature of the beast. This stuff only seems complicated.

* Install eMule. Don't change any of its options for now.
* Go to eMule's "Option" tab and select the "Connection" menu
* Make up two port numbers between 1025 and 65535. I use 16047 for TCP and 16062 for UDP but it doesn't matter what they are, just two different ones. You do this because many ISP's block the standard eMule ports. Leave this window open.
* Go to your modem's settings and open those same two ports. I can't give you step-by-step instructions because all modems differ. http://portforward.com used to have free software that would do the entire modem setup for you but they charge for it now. They DO have excellent how-to guides with pictures for setting up emule with a ton of different modems. Please give that site a look-see because it might help a lot.
* Once you've opened the ports, go back to eMule's "Connection" menu and click the "Test Ports" button. A web page opens that will connect to your eMule and tell you the results.
* Go to eMule's "Servers" tab, then click the "Connect" tab at the top of the window.

If you could tell us what exactly is not working, maybe we can help.
Terrysherry

Post by Terrysherry »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote: When you start receiving files, eMule allocates the total space for that file from the start – your hard drive needs enough space for twice the final size of that file when it completes - if you're low on hard drive space, eMule might not be able to complete the file. As you receive the chunks that make up a file, they're put in their correct positions inside the .part file in the Temp folder. When all the parts have arrived, the completed file is then moved to the Incoming folder.

Note: The web addresses for the various update files detailed below may be transient - use Google search to find sources for server.met, ipfilter.dat, nodes.dat, etc.
Okay so I am also trying to set up emule and stuck at the line above in bold. What do I do with server.met, ipfilter.dat, nodes.dat etc? Where do I have to write those web addresses?
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

Those files should be in emule\config folder
Warg

Post by Warg »   2 likes

You can find valid list for these files on this sites (they are automatically loaded if you click "add to emule"):
http://www.server-met.de/
http://www.nodes-dat.com/

If none of the servers works for you (I once had this problem) try these servers instead (I even take only this list): http://www.gruk.org/list.php
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   1 likes

In that list of gruk.org does not appear the GrupoTs server is the one that I use and the most reliable and also it has helped me to download many files if I recommend it
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

You're looking for a server with low ping and the largest number of users and files. Right now, TV Underground has 71000+ users and 32million files. I've never seen GrupoTs even close to that, but whatever works for you. ;)
Terrysherry

Phuzzy4242 wrote:eMule can be set to block IP addresses and the community maintains blacklists. Go back to Options -> Security and enable "Filter servers too" under IP Filter. Type http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz in the "Update from URL" box and click Load.
The blacklist source appears to be dead.
Warg wrote:You can find valid list for these files on this sites (they are automatically loaded if you click "add to emule"):
http://www.server-met.de/

If none of the servers works for you (I once had this problem) try these servers instead (I even take only this list): http://www.gruk.org/list.php
My McAfee websecurity adviser says the first and third link could be risky so 'i tried the second one i.e http://www.nodes-dat.com/ and it worked. Thanks.
Terrysherry

Eh.. Sorry stupid question but how do I figure my maximum downloading and uploading speed?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Terrysherry wrote:Eh.. Sorry stupid question but how do I figure my maximum downloading and uploading speed?
What is the total bandwidth of your internet connection? For instance, 75 Mb downloads is 75 Megabits which is the same as 75000 Kb (kilobits). Divide that by 8 (because there are 8 bits in a byte) to get 9375 KB (kilobytes). This is the maximum speed. Now find out what 80% of that is because you must leave some leeway for processing or your connection will be saturated and slow way down. 80% of 9375 is 7500. Put that in the Capacities box for Download KB/s. Calculate the same way for maximum Upload speed.

I don't know how much bandwidth you need for other internet use - you must determine what works best for your household - but you can specify limits below the maximum speeds until you find the right balance, and change them on the fly as needed - you don't need to stop eMule to make the changes.