Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
emuler

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by emuler »   0 likes

1. Avoid. You'll get a lot of fake servers that way. Update manually from a decent site. Add your preferred servers to the static servers list (right click -> add to static servers) so you don't lose them if they go offline for a while.

2. Opening ports for eMule has very little (if at all) to do with 'police snooping'.
About your IP address, you have a modem or router in your home. The 192.168.1.x is the internal IP address assigned to you by your router; it is what you use to communicate to and from your router and other devices on your internal network. Your router is most likely having the IP address 192.168.1.1.
The other IP address 82.163.xxx.xxx is your external IP address. This is the IP address assigned to you by your ISP (or by your VPN service; depends on where you are getting this information from). Any traffic coming to this IP address will reach your router. The router will then forward it to your internal IP address 192.168.1.x.
GOTJ13

Post by GOTJ13 »   0 likes

Thanks, Emuler, for clearing those points up.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

GOTJ13 wrote:Great work on the Manual, Phuzzy. I followed the step-by-step instructions carefully, re-reading each part and confirming the actions before moving on. OK, now I have to stop and clear a couple of points up before bravely moving on.
1) Should I check the box for "Update server list when connecting to a server"? I seem to remember doing so when I last used eMule. Please advise, thanks.
2) After reading and studying the section dealing with programming the router to open eMule ports, I think I have run into a wall. Because I am afraid of the state of snooping in this "Police State" country in which I am living, I have to be very careful about what the GCHQ and other snoops and spies can see what I am doing here on the internet, especially when working with "One Tomato" topic stuff. As a result of my concerns I have been using a VPN for the last year. So, with the VPN functioning, when I looked at the results on my laptop for "ipconfig/all", my computer reported that my IP address (IPv4) was 192.168.*.1* - but when I went to the web and checked 'what is my IP address' it was 82.1630.7*.*0 from Jerusalem in Israel. This was because I had the VPN running. My question to you is: "I probably can't program my router to open eMule ports, because of the VPN, right?". Is there fix to this? Or do I have to stop using the VPN to make my IQ address static? Thanks in advance for any help.
I don't let the server list update. There are only six servers in it and they've been vetted so there aren't any honeypots.

The 192.168.x.x address is INSIDE your router. Any 192.168.x.x address (or 10.x.x.x address) is a "private" address that can't be directly reached from outside the router. The 82.163.x.x address is what the OUTSIDE world sees. The purpose of the router is to "translate" between inside and outside addresses. You can open ports in your router but the VPN site almost certainly won't allow traffic through anything but the "standard" VPN ports (see http://blogs.technet.com/b/rrasblog/arc ... rough.aspx for info about them). I think as long as you're using VPN you'll only have lowid and I doubt using a proxy will be any better.

You'll always have some chance of an outside agency being able to determine your address and the traffic going back and forth. I'm of two minds because on the one hand, leaving everything in the open means you're depending on obscurity - the needle-in-a-haystack method - to stay under the radar, but on the other, trying to obfuscate and hide your activity almost draws attention to it.
GOTJ13

Thanks, Phuzzy - sage advice that I will take. Thanks for the help and pointers.
GOTJ13

I forgot to mention another thing from running through your instructions, Phuzzy. In the step-by-step instructions it says
eMule can be set to block IP addresses and the community maintains blacklists. Go back to Options -> Security and enable "Filter servers too" under IP Filter. Type http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz in the "Update from URL" box and click Load.
I clicked LOAD on two occasions, and on both tries I got this message "IP filter download failed". Help! :? I an obfuscated.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

GOTJ13 wrote:2) My question to you is: "I probably can't program my router to open eMule ports, because of the VPN, right?". Is there fix to this? Or do I have to stop using the VPN to make my IQ address static?
It's your VPN provider that decides if the ports are open or not. If the VPN service is meant for p2p, all ports might be open already. In this case, you'd have to open the ports in Windows firewall only. Don't tweak the router unless you have problems with VPN itself. Maybe someone else who is using VPN can provide some tips.
GOTJ13 wrote:I clicked LOAD on two occasions, and on both tries I got this message "IP filter download failed".
The link is no longer valid. In my opinion the IP filter is not useful anyway.
GOTJ13

Thanks, Mimzy. I am experiencing problems in defining and setting up the ports in this Windows 8.1 os.... so, I'll think about them tonight and go through the procedure in my mind, and then tomorrow I'll be able to tell FLM members what an obfuscating system Windows 8.1 is! to give a clue, when I defined IPV(4) address, subnet mask, and default gateway on the router I LOST MY WIFI CONNECTION!! Have a good night all.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

You don't define any of those addresses on the router, you define them in Windows. It's not essential to make your IP static. Most routers have a DHCP server - in other words, the router assigns the IP address, along with the subnet mask (most of the time that will be 255.255.255.0). The default gateway is the router's INTERNAL address (for instance 192.168.1.1).

If you let your router assign the IP, the address can change if you reboot. That's not bad, just inconvenient, because you must go back to the router and change which IP the ports are forwarded to - most routers forward specific ports to specific IP addresses. I have Win8.1 too, and I must use dynamic IP because of other stuff I do. When I reboot, I always make sure eMule is still highid - if not, a quick change in the router fixes it. In case you're not aware, you can find the PC's current IP address, subnet mask, and gateway by typing IPCONFIG or IPCONFIG /ALL at a DOS prompt.

Another thing that can mess you up is firewalls. I don't use Windows' or McAfee's firewalls - they cause me nothing but grief. I use my router's built-in firewall, and I also use COMODO Firewall (freeware).

The IP Filter can be updated from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/scarangel/ipfilter.rar
The Fake Filter can be updated from http://emule-gifc.googlecode.com/svn-hi ... /fakes.dat
The IP-to-country list can be updated from http://upd.emule-security.org/ip-to-country.csv.zip

I'll give some hypotheticals - maybe it'll make more sense.

Let's say your PC's IP address is 192.168.1.5, netmask is 255.255.255.0, and your router's address is 192.168.1.1 (this is also your default gateway). You set eMule's TCP port to 16047 and its UDP port to 16062 (I happen to use those two). Go to your router and forward IP address 192.168.1.5 port 16047 as TCP, and IP address 192.168.1.5 port 16062 as UDP. Then go to eMule and use the Test Ports button to have it check. This goes to the eMule website and reports whether the ports are open.
Testing IP: sxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.yyy.yy.yyy.com (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Obfuscation: Enabled

Starting TCP connection test...

TCP test successful.

Now testing UDP...
Sending UDP packet...
Waiting for result...
UDP test successful.
If it doesn't report success, look to your firewall next. If possible, turn it off or disable it and run the test again. If it succeeds now, your firewall is what's blocking you. If it still doesn't succeed, it's probably the VPN or proxy.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

If you can tell us what hardware is between you and the internet, we can give more specific advice.

For instance, my ISP gave me a wired (non-wifi ) modem. I put in a wifi router after it. So I have two devices between my computer and the ISP. I have an ethernet patch cord running from my wired modem to my wifi router. All user devices connect through wifi - laptops (3), desktop (1), smartphones (4), TV set top box (1) (heavy rain disrupts the satellite signal to the set top box, so the wifi link lets me download the missed episodes over internet).

To get highID in my case, I forwarded my emule ports in the wired modem to point to the wifi router, and in the wifi router to point to my laptop.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

If you use a proper VPN, you can forget about the static IP, port forwarding and stuff.

First try to get the internet connection working, then VPN and then eMule. Not everything at once...

Regarding the IP filter – you have to be sure that it is well maintained or you will potentially block many valid IPs. Due to the shortage of IPs, many IPs that were formerly used by government institutions have been given to DSL providers (and what's wrong with using eMule in a government institution anyway?). Also, many "bogus" IP ranges are nowadays in use. Last but not least, the bad government institutions can sign up with a common DSL provider and get a working IP anyway.

I really think the IP filter causes more problems than does any good.