Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Terrysherry

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by Terrysherry »   0 likes

Can I suggest for someone to post a video tutorial of the installation and setup process to get emule working? Reading and configuring from that wall of text in first post is too tiresome. It would be really easy for all to setup emule with a visual/video tutorial.

Edit: On a second note, I should have made a youtube search for tutorials on that. I'll check there first.
Terrysherry

I can't figure out emule. Most of the vids on Youtube are several years old. What's TCP and UDP? What do I enter there?
[Image]
And sorry for bothering from start again. I was trying last time but didn't get it right and gave up a few months ago. Now trying again.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

There are some setup tutorials on Youtube. Yes, they are old, but it doesn't matter. Anyway eMule isn't updated anymore.
This one is quite useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dcYzMSxKec

Generally you can leave the TCP and UDP ports as they are. But remember to open/forward them later in your firewall.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Look on Wikipedia for what TCP and UDP mean, along with eMule itself. TCP is used for transferring files. UDP is used by Kad(emlia) which is mainly searching.

TCP and UDP ports can be anything you want between 1023 and 65535. Ports 0-1023 are "standard" and should not be used. 1024-49151 are designated ICANN for specific services but I've never had a problem using 16000 and 16001 for my desktop, 16002 and 16003 for my wife's PC, etc. I picked those numbers because they're easy to remember. You can just leave the ports at defaults but some ISPs block those ports BECAUSE they're eMule's defaults. Protocol obfuscation is used to fool ISPs into not blocking eMule.

Ports are used for data going into or out of the computer. The standard ones are 21 for FTP, 80 for HTTP, etc. Your router's firewall opens the standard ports by default but you have to specifically tell it to allow eMule to communicate to the outside world or you'll only be able to get LowID which means MUCH slower transfers.

The Step-by-Step is long because I tried to explain how to get eMule running without major problems. You can print it out and check off each step as you go along if that helps, and there are always people here who can help with specific questions. Port forwarding gives people the most problems. Unfortunately every router sets up differently so we probably can't give specifics but should still be able to point you in the right direction. Google is your friend.
Terrysherry

I entered 16000 for TCP and 16001 for UDP. When I click Test Ports, it sends me to http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/ ... g=1033&l=1
and gives following message
Testing IP: 67.30.107.61 (67.30.107.61)

Obfuscation: Disabled

Starting TCP connection test...
TCP test failed! UDP test will not be performed.

Results in detail:

TCP connection test failed.
It was not possible, to establish a TCP connection to your eMule.
Other users will only be able to connect to you with the help of a server, resulting in a low ID for you. While eMule still works, this will give you several disadvantages. Therfore it is highly recommended to solve this problem.

How to resolve port problems... Something is interfering with your network communications. There are two main reasons for this:

If you are using a firewall, ensure that your firwall don't block the required ports! You might need to set a rule to allow the ports to be available.
If you use a router, make sure that your router forwards the required ports to your local IP!.
What's my port and how do I create rule to allow ports availability? I got mcafee installed on my Laptop, I went to firewall setting and made an exception emule.exe to allow incoming and outgoing connections. What else I have to do?

I don't know if it's important but I didn't install with executable emule but extracted the zip file.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

You have to go to your router settings and allow port forwarding for port 16000 TCP and 16001 for UDP. Like I said, we probably can't help much with the router because there are so many of them and setups - even terminology - are different for each one. Use Google and YouTube to see if there's an explanation of what to do for your particular router.
Terrysherry

Phuzzy4242 wrote:You have to go to your router settings and allow port forwarding for port 16000 TCP and 16001 for UDP. Like I said, we probably can't help much with the router because there are so many of them and setups - even terminology - are different for each one. Use Google and YouTube to see if there's an explanation of what to do for your particular router.
What if I connect with smartphone hotspot?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Terrysherry wrote:
Phuzzy4242 wrote:You have to go to your router settings and allow port forwarding for port 16000 TCP and 16001 for UDP. Like I said, we probably can't help much with the router because there are so many of them and setups - even terminology - are different for each one. Use Google and YouTube to see if there's an explanation of what to do for your particular router.
Then you're probably SOL because your phone provider would have to open those ports for you and they probably won't. Without those ports, you'll never get HighID which means file transfers will crawl. Also, eMule depends on being online continuously, especially if you can only get LowID - not doable with a smartphone. Your client has to constantly check in with a server to mediate all file transfers, and will automatically be given a lower priority if you're not online much. Sorry, but you may have better luck with BitTorrent - eMule will probably work, but it isn't going to work well.
Terrysherry

Phuzzy4242 wrote:
Terrysherry wrote:
Then you're probably SOL because your phone provider would have to open those ports for you and they probably won't. Without those ports, you'll never get HighID which means file transfers will crawl. Also, eMule depends on being online continuously, especially if you can only get LowID - not doable with a smartphone. Your client has to constantly check in with a server to mediate all file transfers, and will automatically be given a lower priority if you're not online much. Sorry, but you may have better luck with BitTorrent - eMule will probably work, but it isn't going to work well.
Most movies here not on Bittorrent. What's SOL, BTW?
Warg

Post by Warg »   1 likes

Terrysherry wrote:What's SOL, BTW?
According to Wikipedia it means "shit, out of luck". I didn't know Phuzzy4242 is such a hippster but, hey, YOLO ... :lol:
Why not getting yourself a proper internet connection? Many companies offer cheap flatrates ... ;)