Is KAD network still safe ?

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
eva3

Is KAD network still safe ?

Post by eva3 »   0 likes

Hello, and thanks for this great site :D
I wanted to know if we could consider the Kad network still safe. I remember some years ago, when I used regularly emule to find videos, my anti-virus often reported fkin' botnets (I think ?) trying to sniff my ports, even with an updated ipfilter.
Now I use good vpn to raise security level but I'm frustrated beacause of the low peer numbers when I'm only connected to a server.
So what do you do to download safely with KAD ? Thank you :D
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Is KAD network still safe ?

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I've been using kad forever. A certain amount of attacks are almost expected but a decent firewall will stop most of them. Does your router have a firewall? Use it. There are also several free firewalls available. They add protection but often block parts of web pages, even if you "train" them...---- and you have to constantly train them because things constantly change. Comodo used to have a decent one.
eva3

Post by eva3 »   0 likes

No, I don't use the router firewall, but a paid one. Probably not the most reliable though.
Isn't it much harder to attack a emule target that uses VPN connection ?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

You can use VPN but you'll always have lowid and must use the servers anyway. Like I said, check the free firewall programs.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

You can use VPN but you'll always have lowid
No, you don't if you use a VPN with port forwarding.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Are there any free ones? Cost could quickly get out of hand if you have to pay for it.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:Are there any free ones? Cost could quickly get out of hand if you have to pay for it.
I don't know any free ones. But anyway: tell me a good fast secure VPN with servers in many countries... :cry:

AirVPN is pretty good, allows port forwarding and is pretty cheap.
Tiny Blondie

Post by Tiny Blondie »   0 likes

You can create your own VPN ;)
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:17 am I've been using kad forever. A certain amount of attacks are almost expected but a decent firewall will stop most of them. Does your router have a firewall? Use it. There are also several free firewalls available. They add protection but often block parts of web pages, even if you "train" them...---- and you have to constantly train them because things constantly change. Comodo used to have a decent one.
Is it recommended to use KAD or is there a lot of stuff on the KAD network that you won’t find with just the eDonkey2000 network?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

It would take one of the tech experts here to explain the differences and benefits of each, but I am always using both KAD Network and the ed2k Server in my eMule client. I would not avoid either one of them.

I also use a VPN, if that makes any difference for security.