I need to pick someone's brain

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Quickone

I need to pick someone's brain

Post by Quickone »   0 likes

I have a small home network. I run win7 Home premium and my sisters laptop runs win8. She shares my internet fine. She just can't print from the network printer. It's shared in the home group and she see's it on Windows 8, it just stays in que. My printer is a Canaan MG4120 wireless. My router is an Linksys EA2700 with WPA/WPS on IPV4. Any ideas?
emuler

Re: I need to pick someone's brain

Post by emuler »   0 likes

If she can see the printer in Windows 8, the networking part is fine. Look through the printer settings for something that tells the printer to print mmediately, not hold documents in queue. Look for spool settings in the printer property pages.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

Do you have a Windows 8 printer driver? Don't count on anything running on Win8 just because it ran on Vista or Win7, especially drivers.

Be VERY careful about installing anything that gets at the core operating level, like drivers or system tools - check compatibility first. I just built a domain using Server 2012 (server version of Win8) and had everything 100% working and finished. I was putting stuff in my truck when their "IT" person installed Symantec Antivirus and it immediately blue-screened and wouldn't come back even under safe mode and last-known good boot. Had to rush rebuild it from scratch. I was less than pleased. :x
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Try connecting the Win8 laptop directly to the printer with a USB cable to narrow down whether it's a driver or wireless problem.
emuler

The second document hints that there is a utility on the CD that will enable printer sharing so that other computers besides the main computer can connect and print.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

No utility is needed. Printer sharing means one computer (Quickone's) acts as a print "server". On Quickone's computer, all he has to do is "share" the printer and set his sister's laptop so printing goes to "\\QuickonePC\PrinterShareName" instead of directly to the printer. The laptop still has to have the correct Win8 driver - Quickone's PC would just be a middleman and it adds another potential point of failure between laptop and printer, plus his PC would have to be running any time she wanted to print.
emuler

AFAIK this is a standalone wireless printer. So it is a print server in its own right and can accept jobs from any computer device that it is authorised to accept jobs from and will work even if Quickone's main computer is off. They might have a utility that enables this authentication, though. He may have to authenticate every device on his network that is to be allowed to use the printer. Difficult to tell for sure from way out here, but if they have provided a method for setting this up on their CD, then IMHO that's what he should try first. We can help him troubleshoot further if that fails.

Also, Windows 8 is rather good with device drivers. If it can't use the supplied driver, it will look for one using Windows Update.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

emuler wrote:AFAIK this is a standalone wireless printer. So it is a print server in its own right and can accept jobs from any computer device that it is authorised to accept jobs from and will work even if Quickone's main computer is off. They might have a utility that enables this authentication, though. He may have to authenticate every device on his network that is to be allowed to use the printer. Difficult to tell for sure from way out here, but if they have provided a method for setting this up on their CD, then IMHO that's what he should try first. We can help him troubleshoot further if that fails.

Also, Windows 8 is rather good with device drivers. If it can't use the supplied driver, it will look for one using Windows Update.
The PDF indicates ad-hoc (direct computer to printer) connections aren't supported so it requires an access point for wireless comms. The printer is working wirelessly with Quickone's PC so the router's WPA/WEP key has already been set in it. If the laptop won't print when connected via USB he'll instantly know it's not a comms problem but a driver or setup issue.
omg

Post by omg »   0 likes

Install Linux :mrgreen: