ssd as system drive

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
starfish21

Re: ssd as system drive

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

i migrated my win7 os to my ssd today,i tried a few online tutorials,but most use command prompt, i've never ben very good at that,especially talk of aligning sectors and mbrs,over my head,so i gave up on that,i got a copy of paragon drive copy,
fucking briliant! so easy,all it asked me to do was change boot priority in bios,i can handle that, when it booted up it was unbelievably fast,welcome screen was up for barely seconds,and the apps loaded like lightning.
i've still to see what it's like for copy and move functions but i'm expecting good results. :D
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Most new drives you buy have a tool to clone the old hard drive. I usually don't use it because to me it's the perfect opportunity/excuse to reinstall from scratch. Of course, I do that so often at my job anyway that it's merely routine and I can do it in about 2 hours max. for complete reinstall of everything (software, setups, customization, etc.) except for Windows updates.

I bought a 3 TB Seagate a couple weeks ago and it had the clone tool. I didn't use it for that, but since XP 32-bit only lets you have 2 TB partitions I had to use it to make the drive usable. The 1 TB drive it replaced started going <click> <click> <click> and was totally unrecoverable :( Luckily I only lost a little bit (I believe in backups) and I replaced that in no time.

I thought hard about an ssd but the price is still too high. It'll come down eventually - the first flash drive I ever bought was 128 MB and cost $80. I bought a 32 GB flash drive for $19 when I got the 3 TB. :thumbsup
starfish21

This 120gb ssd cost £75,one of the cheaper ones,but it still got reasonable reviews,hopefully the price will come right down,i've got far too many drives to replace without it costing me a fortune,but my system drive is running sweetly for now,i always kept my emule temp files on a seperate drive from the system,i think i'll try keeping them on the ssd,since it's probably the most active program i've got.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

£75 is about $120 US.

120 GB for $120 = $1.00 per GB
3000 GB for $120 = $0.04 per GB

The SSD costs 25 times more per GB. That ratio will have to drop a lot before I can justify it. I'm not worried, it always does - Gordon Moore has been right since 1965. :D
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Actually, I found the compatibility modes in Windows 8 to be rather good. The troubleshooter sometimes doesn't work, but if you set the options manually, like the OS in which the program is known to have worked, and whether or not it needs admin rights, you can get most programs to work. I installed it on my laptop and got everything to work, which should tell you something.

Also, note that Microsoft Security Essentials is incompatible on Windows 8 which has Windows Defender built in. I would have found that really funny if I hadn't found this out the hard way. :(
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Microsoft incompatible with Microsoft? THAT'S never happened before. :lol:
starfish21