Restoring to different system

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
starfish21

Restoring to different system

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

The header is a bit confusing because i'm not sure how to write the problem,definitely one for you,Phuzzy.
i'm looking for opinions on moving a system image backup,created on my present pc, onto a completely different pc with dissimilar hardware.
This is only to save me the bother of a complete system install from scratch,i anticipate lots of driver issues but i expect i can probably handle that(or at least windows 8.1 can)
it's basically a system migration,but is it worth the hassle compared to starting from scratch? :think
your thoughts please.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Restoring to different system

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

If it was Linux, you could just move the hard drive and be up and running without a hiccup. For Windows, it'll probably just reboot over and over and/or bluescreen. You have to start over from scratch. If you can install on a new hard drive, do so, and AFTER it's up and running put the old hard drive in the box to use as a template of what needs to be reinstalled, and stuff like favorites and emails can be directly copied. Don't reinstall eMule, just copy its entire folder so all your settings and credits are retained. If you have to re-use the original hard drive, back up anything that remotely looks like you might need it again. I don't know your locale, but 128 GB flash drives are about U.S. $38 now. Windows' migration tool is useful for non-geeks but it usually misses stuff.

I usually download all the drivers, etc. (support.dell.com, support.hp.com, etc.) before I start, and also the installs for most of the software I use, and put it all in a folder somewhere. Whatever you can do ahead of time to make it less hassle... Have fun. :twisted:
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Theoretically possible, but OUCH. If your new hardware is much newer than your old one, you might encounter BSODs, or worse, Windows might not load at all. Note that the dumbf*cks who built Windows 8 'fixed' it so that you can only get to safe mode AFTER Windows has loaded. :wall

Note that if you follow Phuzzy's method you might not have access to the old system folders. Windows lets you gain permanent access to those folders, but if you do that, the old Windows version won't work properly any more. :wall

My recommendation is to save all your stuff to a pen drive or another HDD partition (not your current C drive). Avoid copying system folders like My Documents, Downloads, etc. Instead, open that folder, select everything in there, cut and paste to a new folder in the place where you are backing stuff up. Take your time doing this. Run searches for various file types to dig out files you've squirreled away somewhere and forgotten. Don't forget the files stored in app data folders and folders created by applications in My Documents. Browser login and passwords and favourites can also be saved and restored. Most important is your wifi password and internet connectivity info - I found that one out the hard way many years ago; never again. LOL Software licenses for your applications need to be backed up as well.

Once you're done, install Windows from scratch, formatting your old C drive in the process (or use a different drive altogether). SSDs are expensive but the performance boost obtained by using that as your system drive is massive. Highly recommended; even a 128GB SSD is worth it. You can use conventional HDDs for your files.
starfish21

Thanks to both for the reply,as i thought...too much hassle,i just hoped there was a lazy way,the machine i'm switching to is win7 on a 120gb ssd,i'm more into 8.1 now so i'll be upgrading,except it will be a clean install.i don't mind all the apps and drivers,it's the all the little tweaks and addons i've made,like my context menu hacks.
I'm just going to have to take loads of notes. :roll:
cheers.
emuler

Get used to it - you'll have to do it again by the end of the year when Windows 10 comes out. Hopefully, that will be the last time as further updates will get applied incrementally, without having to reinstall the OS. That's the theory, anyway.

Btw. you can take screenshots of your context menus, if you prefer that to noting things down. :roll:

If your old system has the standard BIOS while the new one has a UEFI BIOS, you're looking at a whole new world of pain if you put in the old HDD into the new machine and try to make it work.

Best practical advice: don't get rid of your old system until you have been using your new one for a few days at least, just to make sure you haven't forgotten to back up something important. Been there; done that. :wall
starfish21

windows 10? what happened to 9?
i've already made some screencaps,i'm in no hurry,it'll be a few weks before i begin,i intend to keep both systems running simultaneously for a while,for reference purposes.i'll probably need to find a method of switching inputs to my monitor.
emuler

Or you could set up remote desktop on your old PC and log in to it from your new one.
starfish21

i remember trying something like that a while back and getting bogged down with sharing and admin rights,so i'll most likely pass.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

On the new PC go to a command prompt, type mstsc, and press Enter. Type the computer name or its IP address and click Connect, then log into the other computer just like you were sitting in front of it. You can easily switch between them using only one monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

If you don't want to share folders, either copy to a flash drive and sneakernet it, or (my preference) pull the hard drive from the old machine and put it in the new long enough to copy whatever files you need.
starfish21

All good advice,my options have increased,cheers Emuler and Phuzzy.