Restoring to different system

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
popdrome

Re: Restoring to different system

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

I hope everything worked out well for you starfish.
Just wanted to inform u that my mac has died and I'm upgrading as we speak.
Which means I used to work on a 2 core desktop imac and I'm migrating my stuff to a larger (yay!) screen and faster (yay) quad core
system which means I can _actually_ watch my full HD encodes haha :wall and I will be able to share better content here.

be back soon x

Don't go quietly into the night.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

The bad thing about computers is they get old and wear out and have to be replaced.

The good thing about computers is they get old and wear out and have to be replaced. :lol:
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

very true, Phuzzy. Still working on migrating resolving some issues. I'll be back soon peeps

Don't go quietly into the night.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

I decided to be safe and do a fresh install,while i was doing so i thought it might be interesting to try a dual os with win 10,absolute nightmare......GPT and MBR issues made it a more tricky install,to cut the story short,i ended up with a data loss of approx 1.8TB,mostly video,inc all my FLM released stuff,i only kept it for reshares anyway,but needless to say i was pretty pissed off :( .i at one time had 2 backups of my movie collection, but it got too big.(maybe i should invest in a multi level basement storage facility like PTG) :roll: All is well now,i won't be rebuilding my collection,but i'm sure i can find some stuff for here.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

starfish21 wrote:I decided to be safe and do a fresh install,while i was doing so i thought it might be interesting to try a dual os with win 10,absolute nightmare......GPT and MBR issues made it a more tricky install,to cut the story short,i ended up with a data loss of approx 1.8TB,mostly video,inc all my FLM released stuff,i only kept it for reshares anyway,but needless to say i was pretty pissed off :( .i at one time had 2 backups of my movie collection, but it got too big.(maybe i should invest in a multi level basement storage facility like PTG) :roll: All is well now,i won't be rebuilding my collection,but i'm sure i can find some stuff for here.
You should always clone your harddrive, before doing such things. At least I did, when changing from MBR to GPT/UEFI.. Of course after partitioning with GParted all partitions got fucked up.. in this way nothing got lost :)
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

i had an image backup of my windows 8.1,that was fine,but there was a problem during the partitioning process that caused the whole drive to fuck up. i used a recovery app to get a lot of it back,but all filenames were scrambled,it also renamed all my mp4 files to mov to confuse me even more.i got about 650 unplayable video files(i had to check every one to confirm this) so i eventually gave up.nothing is important enough to put myself through that again.i was at it for about 7 weeks,never again.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Acckkkkkk! I have 7 terabytes on the PC itself, and two 5 terabyte externals I back up to. HDD's are so cheap now, it makes no sense not to. SSD's are coming down in price too but the larger ones are still too expensive. That'll change - I expect prices to drop by half or more in the next year or so.

I stopped burning everything to DVD's/BRs. It takes too much time, it's a pain to find anything, and it costs more for blank discs than hard drives would. I'm thinking of moving all of it to external hard drives.