sub maker?

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
donkeykog

sub maker?

Post by donkeykog »   1 likes

Is there a program that can take the subs out, so I can work on them, and then re-add them to the movie?

I have a few movies where the subs were obviously done by google trans and are pretty bad. I was watching a movie tonight and having to translate the translation in my head and I thought "Self, I wonder if I could take this movie and fix the subs?". Most are grammar problems (saying he instead of I or she) and issues of sentences not being put together properly, but give enough of the gist of what they are saying that it can be somewhat fixed.
petra

Re: sub maker?

Post by petra »   0 likes

There is a free open source program from Nikse.dk called Subtitle Edit which may be useful.
emuler

Post by emuler »   2 likes

1. If the subs are hardcoded (ie. you can't turn them on or off), then you're stuck. Nothing to be done.

2. If they are soft subs in a separate .srt or .sub file, these may simply be opened in Notepad and edited (be careful to change only the spoken text; leave the other stuff alone.)

3. If they are soft subs but packed into the video container (ie. just one file, .mkv, .mp4 etc.) then you will need to unpack the container, get the video and subs into separate files (sometimes you'll get the audio in a separate file as well) then edit the subs like in 2. above. Finally, you can either repack everything the way it was, or keep the subs outside in a separate file. If the video and audio got unpacked into separate files, you'll have to pack them again into a single file.

Now you know why I like .srt subs.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

If the subs have timing errors that you want to fix, get Subtitle Workshop.
If you have a DVD with subs, there is software (SubRip, etc.) that lets you rip them and OCR them into an .srt file.