[REL] Meng ying tong nian AKA Electric Shadows (2004)

kev
Site Admin

[REL] Meng ying tong nian AKA Electric Shadows (2004)

Post by kev »   10 likes

Cool looking movie I found:
“ELECTRIC SHADOWS opens in present-day Beijing with a disastrous encounter between delivery boy Dabing (Xia Yu, who won the Best Actor prize in Venice for In the Heat of the Sun) and Ling Ling (Qi Zhongyang). Dabing is the one with a bump on his head, but Ling Ling's the one who ends up in hospital, receiving overdue treatment for a life that has left her dazed, confused and hurt.

He visits her home to keep her fish fed and starts reading her diary. It tells a story that shocks him in ways he could never have expected, but it also reminds him of his own childhood passion for the movies. Those were the days before television, when movies were the only real mass medium and when audiences breathed and dreamed as one.

All of director Xiao Jiang’s central characters are movie fans, and the key events in their lives are inextricably linked to the movies they saw and loved. Unless you grew up in China, you may not know the movies in question, but you'll recognize the syndrome. And when you see the clips, you'll understand immediately. Her storyline - divided between Beijing now and Ningxia thirty years ago - is about what it takes to heal grievous emotional wounds within a family. Imagine a Chinese ‘Cinema Paradiso’.”

-Rotterdam International Film Festival
[Image]

From what I can gather, it's not yet available with English subs, but you can get it on DVD with Korean subs from DVDAsian:

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/20476.html

And from emule:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [696.58 Mb]

I've been loading it for a day, now and it seems to be going strong!

ALSO; here's the IMDB link:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0424273/

kev.
Rich

Re: [REL] Meng ying tong nian (2004)

Post by Rich »   0 likes

thanks kev :bigups:
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

OK... Got the movie. VERY nicel

A note on the downloaded file, though:

I don't know if this is public knowledge, [I kinda stumbled on it out of sheer desperation... lol!]; BUT when the file was completed it wouldn't play. I found that RENAMING the file and just getting rid of the squares at the beginning of the file name fixed the problem.

While that worked, out of curiosity I'd like to know what I did... lol

Do some files contain Japanese lettering causing the squares? Are these files recognizable on Japanese Media Players and not on American ones? How does merely eliminating the lettering [squares] make the files suddenly playable?

While not life altering meditations, lol, it would be nice to know a bit more about what's going on on the technical end... ANY illumination would be appreciated... :bigups:

Thanks.

kev.
paquini

Post by paquini »   0 likes

kev wrote:OK... Got the movie. VERY nicel

A note on the downloaded file, though:

I don't know if this is public knowledge, [I kinda stumbled on it out of sheer desperation... lol!]; BUT when the file was completed it wouldn't play. I found that RENAMING the file and just getting rid of the squares at the beginning of the file name fixed the problem.

While that worked, out of curiosity I'd like to know what I did... lol

Do some files contain Japanese lettering causing the squares? Are these files recognizable on Japanese Media Players and not on American ones? How does merely eliminating the lettering [squares] make the files suddenly playable?

While not life altering meditations, lol, it would be nice to know a bit more about what's going on on the technical end... ANY illumination would be appreciated... :bigups:

Thanks.

kev.

You can do that or download and install the Japanese (or Chinese) Language package support for Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.

:)
infiniter

Post by infiniter »   0 likes

I can't see any of the pictures. :crazy: Could you check this?
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

paquini wrote:You can do that or download and install the Japanese (or Chinese) Language package support for Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.
:)
infiniter wrote:I can't see any of the pictures. :crazy: Could you check this?
Coolio! Thanks pauini.

infiniter: The pix still come up fine on my end. I pulled them from the 'DVDAsian' link that I gave in the post. Maybe if you go there it will work better for you. Good luck.

kev.
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

nothing OT but a nice story :)