Complaints about me

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
infiniter

Complaints about me

Post by infiniter »   0 likes

To clear things up: I only criticise to incite people to do their best. Also, if "I" complain about a bad sound, that's only "my" opinion and it is my true opinion. I think I did enough ripping and converting in order to tell what's "crappy" and what's not. And I also know that even a VHS rip can be done far better. So I wouldn't tell if it were not crappy. OK, depends hardly on the point of view and perhaps I expect a higher level than other do. But this is the 21st century and the digital age and there's enough good, cheap hardware and software to press the most out of everything related to sound and video.

I complain too often? Well, if there is no chance to say good things about a movie (I still have the opinion that this board is flooded by out-of-age and off-topic movies, and this opinion won't change anyway), then I can only say bad things or shut up.

Shutting up may be more appreciated by some of you, but I also see this point very differently: if nobody complains, the guys that are posting the crap here will continue the campaign.

And last but not least: do you all really like this "if I post a movie, I expect to read only thank-yous and no complaints, because I'm a poor little guy, constantly close to a heart attack" thingy??? I don't think so. We are not living in Wimpy Hill or Sissy Town, guys! Get real. Complaining is my way of paying attention to your post. ;)
Debaser

Re: Complaints about me

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

infiniter, we never got on with each other from the start.
Perhaps you think that’s of my own doing, as much as I think its yours.

I appreciate that you have come forward and stated your case though!!

My main criticism isn’t that you may not like some of the releases, whether its the quality or content of the said releases, of course I too dislike some.
The problem I have is that sometimes you can be pretty harsh.

Imagine: Someone rips a film that they are very proud of, and the first comment is something along the lines of "I thought the girl was ugly, the quality is rubbish". That will hurt some people!.
I can understand if the releaser then becomes very defensive.

It is possible to word things a little differently as to not completely destroy someone’s efforts, and still be constructive.
billanben

Post by billanben »   0 likes

OK for me its a free world (just) and we are all entitled to our say, and Infiniter, you are exercising that. I don't know why you don't post anything other than comments now, maybe there are simply not any films that have not been posted AND meet your high standards - I can understand that. As for the crap posted here, well of course there will always be something that does and doesn't float your boat, but I don't accept that most of it is out of age, and as for being on-topic, well that is a whole different discussion which is like pi to the nth degree - it has no answer which we can sensibly write down in our lifetimes.
Maybe you can adopt a different approach here to show us all what is on-topic and in age, because certainly just calling it crap does not contain sufficient adjectives to achieve this objective, so the answer is post some of the stuff you have undoubtedly found, but for whatever reason chosen not to share - that way we will know exactly what you expect to see and can oblige accordingly.
So what about it Infiniter - post us some of YOUR stuff (assuming it does not contravene the rules of this forum).
Thanks to you and all the other posters who make this a great place to spend time and like a car crash - compulsive viewing.
OrionPax

Post by OrionPax »   0 likes

infiniter wrote:To clear things up: I only criticise to incite people to do their best. Also, if "I" complain about a bad sound, that's only "my" opinion and it is my true opinion. I think I did enough ripping and converting in order to tell what's "crappy" and what's not. And I also know that even a VHS rip can be done far better. So I wouldn't tell if it were not crappy. OK, depends hardly on the point of view and perhaps I expect a higher level than other do. But this is the 21st century and the digital age and there's enough good, cheap hardware and software to press the most out of everything related to sound and video.

I complain too often? Well, if there is no chance to say good things about a movie (I still have the opinion that this board is flooded by out-of-age and off-topic movies, and this opinion won't change anyway), then I can only say bad things or shut up.

Shutting up may be more appreciated by some of you, but I also see this point very differently: if nobody complains, the guys that are posting the crap here will continue the campaign.

And last but not least: do you all really like this "if I post a movie, I expect to read only thank-yous and no complaints, because I'm a poor little guy, constantly close to a heart attack" thingy??? I don't think so. We are not living in Wimpy Hill or Sissy Town, guys! Get real. Complaining is my way of paying attention to your post. ;)
If you are complaining about video or audio quality then that is something that I can agree on, alot of releases here are what I would call below standard, people rely too much on generic software settings, I think these are valid complaints people should not be offended by these comments, I often see VHS rips too and think to myself that could have been done better, but people seem to be unwilling to just put in just a bit more effort to make it look better, however while some people may post a release here that doesn’t necessarily mean they have done the ripping/encoding job so that is something to consider.

Content complaints are a different matter, just for the record I have never asked for a thank-you for anything I have release or encoded, I don’t expect to be thanked, I really don’t care about thanks, if any of the threads I start had no reply’s at all I wouldn’t care. What really gets me is when people start up with the whole "is it a girl movie" bullshit, afaik this is not a girl movie only forum, I'm sure some people would like it to be but its not named "FirstLoveGirlMovies" if the content of a movie is not to your tastes just don’t download it, there’s plenty of movies here that I don’t want or like so I just stay out of those topics, there is no need for me to add my opinion on these movies since I don’t download them at all. If it’s something that I have downloaded I may give my opinion on the movie itself, comments about the storyline, was it a good or bad movie etc.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

IMO it is best to preempt adverse comments by mentioning stuff like that in the release itself. If it is a VHS rip, say so. If the video quality isn't great, say so yourself. Then the other guy has nothing to say and your feelings won't get hurt. Give us as much information as you have which will allow us to decide what to download and what to pass on. Screenshots are a great way of achieving this, and congratulations to all the releasers who are doing a great job on that front - special mention - kev who helps out where the original releaser has not been able to provide good ones.
idler

Post by idler »   0 likes

Na ja, manchmal sind Deine Kommentare ganz schön heftig. Könnte auch daran liegen, dass Englisch nicht Deine starke Seite ist... :argue
rmt@36

Post by rmt@36 »   0 likes

Complaints about content and giving constructive criticism is helpful, especially to those people like myself that are still learning how to do this stuff.

So giving help and letting us know where we went wrong and what type of thing that could help in the future is more advantageous than bitching and complaining and being harsh with the comments.

This doesn't help those that are learning and have put the effort forward and who are proud of their accomplishments. It only alienates them and puts them off of loading up movies in the future.

Help us out, teach us what we are doing wrong, instead of telling us it is all crap or shit.

Not very helpful.

I know for me I want to be better at getting the movies to the masses, and any constructive help in making the releases better is beneficial to you and me.
FLL

Post by FLL »   0 likes

Sorry, infiniter, I just can't completely accept "I criticise to motivate people to do better." Because a lot of your comments are not useful; they don't provide enough information to qualify as constructive, and their tone sometimes implies the poster doesn't really care. And most posters here *do* care, so that gets them mad.

I and many others welcome *contructive* criticism. If what I produce has flaws or you don't like the content, tell me what you don't like specifically in a way that I can correct it, or explain why I can't. If you have technical knowledge which will help me please share it. You appear to be quite intelligent and must realize that on a message board presentation is critical, the way you sometimes phrase your criticism discourages people from spending the time required to release a movie here. That's Ok in a Utopian world where the movies we seek are freely available, but here at FLM it usually just means we never get to see that movie. For most here something is better than nothing.

I have to disagree somewhat with OrionPax that sometimes "people seem to be unwilling to just put in just a bit more effort to make it look better". The reality is that making it look better often requires an order of magnitude more effort, the advanced tools which can achieve superior results require lots of tweaking and a great deal of experience and technical understanding. We should consider ourselves lucky that many here have that experience and knowledge, but don't completely dismiss those who don't: not everyone is technically inclined and/or has the aptitude and time to learn and experiment. With DVD rips especially, the difference between an average rip and a superior one is often not significant enough to worrry about for most.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

Here here FLL :clap

Also, I don’t pay for the film that was kindly ripped by someone, so unless the picture is truly awful to the point of being unwatchable, im certainly not going to piss & moan about the film, ill simply be grateful for it.
If on the other hand I had spent my hard-earned cash on it, yes I would be having words
billanben

Post by billanben »   0 likes

Well Infiniter - you achieved what you set out to do - you are centre stage again :-)