What about internet

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
popdrome

What about internet

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

hey guys

When I started (to join) FLM, some 15 years ago I think, 40 mbit internet was huge.
I was able to join and share at least at a speed of 2 MB per upload/ download speed,
and well it was an OK environment for Kad and Ed2k to operate.

I was able to upgrade the UL/DL speeds even further after getting a cable connection
in the 2008's and 2009's. No probs at all.

Usually someone's upload power is one fifth of one's DL power,
so having 50 mbit had me at least at 10 mbit upload speed, you know?

Today however, paying for cable or copper, no matter what - the max download speed I get is 1 MB
I have complained and they've sent passwords to the wrong clients,
They say (bull sh!t) that I have the wrong internet client software,
They will NOT tell me how to port-forward ports until I get my internet password which they keep saying is wrong.

OK, to up the sillyness even more, today I got a message -
They're installing glass fibre in my place! Finally I will be able to upload/download on superspeed! .. Or?
Or really? Does any of you guys have glass fibre?

What are the speeds like and is it affordable? TIA let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Don't go quietly into the night.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: What about internet

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I have 75Mb fiber and I'm uploading 252Mb at the moment. I've seen it go over 1000 before. I'm lowID and still have that kind of upload speed. LowID isn't a problem except other people with lowID can't reach you. My Kad searches work fine, I can download fine. I could get a non-pool IP address so I could port-forward and have highID but that costs $50/month extra. Only people who download from me would benefit from it, and they ain't payin' the bills.
sifon773_lover

Post by sifon773_lover »   0 likes

I got fiber too. 1gigabit up/down. Speed may vary on Emule. Really depending on the connection quality on the other side, I guess. And I wonder if Emule is even made for those fast speeds. Sometimes I feel like there is a cap on the speed...
Fact is that i'm paying as much as my relatives who has a DSL connection and 40mbs down/20 up
“If you can get to be you, why can't I get to be me?”
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

We were actually paying more for two DSL lines that purported to be 1Mb. We needed two because one wasn't fast enough for two people. Neither was fast enough to watch a YouTube video without clocking. The best I could do was 100K download and 20K upload TOTAL. I still managed to share a lot and download a lot. It was still better than the 56K dial-up we had before that. :)

I've been around long enough to use 110 baud teletype. :lol: