[REL] The Girl With All The Gifts (2016)

kev
Site Admin

[REL] The Girl With All The Gifts (2016)

Post by kev »   2 likes

I want to get out in front of this film!!

I JUST finished reading the novel 'The Girl With All the Gifts' [another impulse buy, but this time a gem] by M. R. [Mike] Cary. I was so excited about it I wanted to bring it to FLM member's attention because I had read that the author was working on a screenplay and there was the strong possibility it was going to be made into a film.

Well.. It's more than a possibility; they are already filming with a release date estimated early 2016. The title of the film right now is ' She Who Brings Gifts'.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed by the behind-the-scenes pictures that I've found online [some posted here], but I am still going to be optimistic that it won't be a total disaster... :pray

Mostly my disappointment stems from the fact that the actress that is playing the lead child-role, Sennia Nanua, doesn't look ANYTHING like I pictured her. (She's cute, don't get me wrong, but NOT what I envisioned. I know; tough titties for me.. :D)

It's sad in a way [like I felt after reading 'Tideland'] because I KNOW that the OT scenes in the book [and there are a number of them] are going to be cut out, and most probably not even filmed. The author stated in an interview that he wrote the screenplay at the same time he was writing the novel, but that they were 'very' different. Weird. As a writer if I had a published novel that I actually was able to also write the screenplay for, I'd be as true to the original source as possible. But, whatever... :D

Here's a trailer for the novel:
https://vimeo.com/90231242
http://io9.com/this-trailer-for-mike-ca ... 1480542835
Like this post to see ed2k links  [10.92 Mb]

Here's the novel's cover art and some behind-the-scenes pix of the filming:
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

Still, despite my misgivings; I loved the book, so I'm going to keep an eye out for this one... ;)

kev.
kev
Site Admin

Re: She Who Brings Gifts (2016)

Post by kev »   5 likes

I'm still pretty gaga about the book! (The Girl With All the Gifts)

I recently had to make an 8 hour trip and found the book available from amazon.com as an 'Audible'. I got the file, d/loaded the 'Audible' app and was able to listen to it the entire trip [it's a 13 hour experience], and was even more enthralled than when I read it myself. (You can d/load the 'Audible' app for PC's, laptops, tablets and phones for free.) It's read by an English actress named ' Finty Williams'. I love her voice.

For anyone interested, I've made the 'Audible' version available on eMule: (All you need to do is d/load the 'Audible' app for your device, and you too can experience 13 hours with the lovely Miss Melanie!)

Like this post to see ed2k links  [363.23 Mb]

Despite my disappointment with the casting of this film, I'm still looking forward to this coming out next year. If members will read the book, I think they'll be just as excited! Melanie is to die for*!! :heart :heart :heart

kev.

(*Umm, literally. ;) )
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

kev wrote:I know; tough titties for me.. :D)
We wish! :icon_biggrin2
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Now she’s ten years old, and she has skin like a princess in a fairy tale; skin as white as snow. So she knows that when she grows up she’ll be beautiful, with princes falling over themselves to climb her tower and rescue her.
The people who cast a black girl for this probably never read the book. :wall :P
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

emuler wrote:
Now she’s ten years old, and she has skin like a princess in a fairy tale; skin as white as snow. So she knows that when she grows up she’ll be beautiful, with princes falling over themselves to climb her tower and rescue her.
The people who cast a black girl for this probably never read the book. :wall :P
Exactly!! At least that's what I'd like to think, except for the fact that the author himself wrote the screenplay and was working fairly close with the director, according to articles I've read. You would have thought he would have said, "Hey!.."

There are MANY references in the book about Melanie's blonde hair and blue eyes... :(

Another big contention is that the role of 'Miss Justineau' is being played by a white actress when she is most definitely written as a black woman. It's kind of funny because there was a big hulaboo raised on the book's FaceBook website about just that: A LOT of people were complaining that black actresses were being 'dissed' by the casting of a white woman as a black woman's character. In all the complaining posts I think I only saw one person speak up and mention the fact that Melanie was cast as a black girl. (Kind of hypocritical, but hey; I'm not complaining... :twisted: )

The only thing I can come up with as to their reasoning for the 'Miss Justineau' switch is that maybe they didn't want to echo the movie 'The Omega Man' where Charlton Heston's character Robert Neville had a romantic tryst with Rosalind Cash's character, Lisa, who was black. In 'She Who Brings Gifts' Sgt. Eddie Parks' character is played by Paddy Considine and there's a part in the novel where he and Miss Justineau 'connect'. If she were black... (The fear being since 'The Omega Man' is very similar [apocalyptic, a plague that's wiping out the human race, ect.] to this film in certain aspects. )

In the end I guess Melanie and Miss Justineau magically switched ethnicities in the jump from the page to celluloid.. :think

Anyway.. Still looking forward to this...

kev.
Sully23

Re: [REQ] The Girl With All The Gifts (2016)

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

You said the writer says in the book that the protagonist is white and blue eyes but in the movie is afro now I do not feel like watching the movie.

Read the book and imagine a blonde girl, blue eyes have many actresses in mind (Lainee Rhodes or Abigail breslin)
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REQ] The Girl With All The Gifts (2016)

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   6 likes