Re: [REL] Ty molodets, Anita! (1956)

Post by relic »   0 likes

This site seems to prefer "molodec"
http://filmiki.arjlover.net/info/ty.mol ... a.avi.html
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I'm open to corrections and I watched this last night and I guess it could be 'Mole, Anita!' instead of 'Good Job, Anita!' but that seems like a stretch to me. Transliterations and translations are tricky. Anyone else want to comment? I'll go with the majority.
Warg

Post by Warg »   1 likes

I think I found the solution of the problem.

It depends on the question who is doing the transliteration. "ц" is a so called "disputed" letter. Russians transliterate it as "c" or "cz" and think the western transliteration with "z, tz" ("ts" is not given) as "invalid" or "inappropriate" ...

Compare the three brown tables on pages 3 and 4: http://www.pmedu.ru/res/2014_2_11.pdf

So, on russian pages that stick to their own rules you will find "molodec" while english sites use "molodets" in concordance with the table I gave yesterday ...

Since the lingua franca here is english and not russian it should then be "molodets"!
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Wow, this has really gotten complicated! :D

The whole point of a phonetic spelling is to duplicate the pronunciation in another language using English characters. As for example we do with Japanese names. So if a native Russian speaker says the movie's title what does that sound like? Whichever spelling comes closest is the right one to use.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

LOL I wish I wasn't so language-challenged - I don't know how the words sound when spoken so I can't make a determination other than from what other people or GoogleTrans tells me. I lean towards the title "Good Job, Anita!" because it makes more sense than "Mole, Anita!". It seems that's the consensus. Unless someone persuades me otherwise, let's stick with that.
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:LOL I wish I wasn't so language-challenged - I don't know how the words sound when spoken so I can't make a determination other than from what other people or GoogleTrans tells me. I lean towards the title "Good Job, Anita!" because it makes more sense than "Mole, Anita!". It seems that's the consensus. Unless someone persuades me otherwise, let's stick with that.
Fine by me. Unless we have someone who speaks fluent Russian to set us straight, this strikes me as a tomato-tomatto sort of argument.
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

deadman wrote:The whole point of a phonetic spelling is to duplicate the pronunciation in another language using English characters. ... So if a native Russian speaker says the movie's title what does that sound like? Whichever spelling comes closest is the right one to use.
Lol, the only english characters I know of are the 29 runes of the anglo-saxon set ... The latin characters on the other hand are pronounced very differently around the world, german pronunciation differs heavily to the english in some cases (e.g. -z- is -ts- not -s-, j is -y- not -dsh-, long vowels differ only in quantity from the short ones not in quality, etc.). Phonetic spelling of kyrillic words would then also differ from nation to nation - that's not very convenient especially for geographical names. You see the problem? :ugeek:
As for example we do with Japanese names.
Ouch! I'm a jpop fan, so I hear japanese every day. Romaji characters are in nine out of ten cases pronounced like in german or italian (clear sounds). If you pronounce them like in english you probably sound to a japanese speaker like that: https://youtu.be/CGLlK5FROpw?t=123 :lol:

Phonetical spelling is here an illusion produced by the latin script. Native english speakers always think their pronunciation of latin characters is typical - it's quite the opposite: you're far off the original sounds ...
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

I freely admit I'm language-challenged. :lol: I took one semester of Spanish, one of French, and one of German - more than 40 years ago. I can recognize some words but can't speak any of them so I depend on FLM members to correct me.