For the love of god, please help me before my head explodes!

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
anygirl

For the love of god, please help me before my head explodes!

Post by anygirl »   0 likes

OK, before I get to my questions, I just want to say that I've been lurking on the forum here for a little while now and really love the site. I've always loved movies with kids in the leading roles (probably because I still feel like a little girl most of the time! :) Anyway, I love the site.

Alright, so here we go... In order to comply with sharing procedures, I recently downloaded and installed emule (which I do NOT understand at all and hate, but it seems I can upload and download anyway- though it's ridiculously slow.) When I realized a movie that is one of my favorites is not listed here, I tried to find it through torrents, rapidshare, emule, etc so I could put it on emule and share it here. It's impossible to find it online so I sucked it up and bought the DVD on ebay and it came yesterday. After downloading and installing several different programs to de-copyright the movie so I could copy it onto my computer and then convert it to the right format and all that crap, I finally did it and it's ready but now I'm not sure how to post here and I'm also not 100% sure if I even have emule configured properly to share.

So my first question is, do I just make a new post in the REL section because I don't understand what it means to be "confirmed"? And secondly, would it be OK for me to post it through a piratebay link as a torrent? The problem is that emule takes way too long and I am not going to leave it running all the time, but if someone else takes it from the torrent file and posts it on emule, then everyone who uses emule can get it there. Am I making sense at all? I'm usually pretty good at figuring out file-sharing programs and I'm pretty savvy with getting things up and running, but emule makes me want to bang my head into a brick wall!

(A little aside- I searched the forum and did not find the movie listed here so if it does end up being here and I went through all of this for nothing, please don't tell me. Let me believe I made a new contribution! ;)

Thanks![/i]
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: For the love of god, please help me before my head explo

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

anygirl wrote:OK, before I get to my questions, I just want to say that I've been lurking on the forum here for a little while now and really love the site. I've always loved movies with kids in the leading roles (probably because I still feel like a little girl most of the time! :) Anyway, I love the site.

Alright, so here we go... In order to comply with sharing procedures, I recently downloaded and installed emule (which I do NOT understand at all and hate, but it seems I can upload and download anyway- though it's ridiculously slow.) When I realized a movie that is one of my favorites is not listed here, I tried to find it through torrents, rapidshare, emule, etc so I could put it on emule and share it here. It's impossible to find it online so I sucked it up and bought the DVD on ebay and it came yesterday. After downloading and installing several different programs to de-copyright the movie so I could copy it onto my computer and then convert it to the right format and all that crap, I finally did it and it's ready but now I'm not sure how to post here and I'm also not 100% sure if I even have emule configured properly to share.
Welcome to FLM. I know it's sometimes a chore to get eMule running at optimum, but the results are well worth it. It is a lot slower than a direct download - you usually don't get instant gratification - but it's also often the only place to find what you want. You might look at the eMule Help/FAQ forum for help getting eMule set up correctly.

Kudos for wanting to add to our community and going to the time and expense of ripping a film yourself - we have a lot of members (and many many more guests) who take but never contribute, even just to give a critique of a film or to say thank you.
anygirl wrote:So my first question is, do I just make a new post in the REL section because I don't understand what it means to be "confirmed"? And secondly, would it be OK for me to post it through a piratebay link as a torrent? The problem is that emule takes way too long and I am not going to leave it running all the time, but if someone else takes it from the torrent file and posts it on emule, then everyone who uses emule can get it there. Am I making sense at all? I'm usually pretty good at figuring out file-sharing programs and I'm pretty savvy with getting things up and running, but emule makes me want to bang my head into a brick wall!
When you have a new release to post, simply start a new thread in the forum for the country where the film was released. For instance, if your movie was released in Australia, create a new thread in Releases > Australia. In the Subject line, put [REL] Name of Movie (year). The [REL] tells people it's a release - you've got it in eMule and are sharing it so other people can download it. Use [REQ] to make a request for a movie from Australia (and of course, create the message in the Request > Australia forum). Putting the (year) in helps track down info for a film and prevents confusion if more than one version was made. A movie is "confirmed" if someone has downloaded it and knows it's the correct film (not a fake, it's all there, etc.).

Yes, eMule takes longer than other sharing programs, but files don't disappear overnight - stuff posted on eMule is around for years, and almost anything you see here on FLM that's not online at the moment can be made available very quickly by asking for a repost. Posting is very easy too - you don't have to go to the time and effort of uploading something, you just put the file in your shared folder and let people come and get it on their own time. Of course, you have to keep eMule online long enough for someone to actually download the entire file. The more people who download it, the faster it gets spread because then they become sources too. When you release a new file, changing its upload priority to "release" in eMule helps distribute it faster. eMule itself can be left running in the background without impacting other programs, and you can throttle its up and/or download bandwidth to keep it from interfering with surfing, gaming, etc.

Though we do prefer eMule, if the only way you can post your file is by uploading it to a sharing site, then go ahead and do so - someone will be sure to download and post it here.
anygirl wrote:(A little aside- I searched the forum and did not find the movie listed here so if it does end up being here and I went through all of this for nothing, please don't tell me. Let me believe I made a new contribution! ;)

Thanks![/i]
Unfortunately, the search feature of this board often misses - I've posted a bunch of stuff that was already here, even though I used Search and Mark I eyeball. You can always post a message asking if your release is already here - someone will know - since it might be named differently or use accented characters in its title (search can't find them).

And you've already made a contribution by posting your questions - someone else will read your message and benefit from it.
anygirl

Post by anygirl »   0 likes

Thanks so much for the reply. Haha- ironically, my movie is from Australia! I did read the emule threads and FAQs on the forum, but they still make no sense to me. My brain refuses to comprehend emule language at all so I end up reading over the same things ten times and still not knowing what anything means or how to do it! I have ADD too so aside from the massive toll it takes trying to concentrate long enough to figure anything out, I have no patience. :eyecrazy So far most of the movies I've seen listed here that I had not seen before, I've managed to find either online streaming or through other file sharing software, but I think that is because they are either more recent films or because they are mainstream enough that a lot of people have them. I have been trying to download two shorts though for days and it has just said "waiting" for a day now and I don't know what that means because of course I'm waiting! Anyway, my real problem with emule is that I cannot keep it running all the time. I have wireless and mobile broadband but whenever I use emule, it heats up my computer to the point I'm convinced it's going to start melting and takes up too much memory and my computer is built specifically for heavy programs and gaming and entertainment! All that and it's still slow and I haven't been able to download anything (other than a quick test file from a search to make sure it worked)!! Also I've noticed my internet will disconnect itself if there is too much downloading/uploading. I can restart it right away but that's only if I'm here to do that.

Argh! I just realized there is a problem with the video now! I may have to post it in three parts if I can't figure out how to fix it. OK, I will post as soon as it's ready! Thanks again! :)
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

Well done anygirl for having a go & wanting to share material here.
If you've already ripped something you're halfway there already!
Some twat has written a guide here that you may (or may not) find useful............
https://www.first-loves.com/forums/v ... php?t=6076

lb