emule in 2019

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
yoko

Re: emule in 2019

Post by yoko »   1 likes

Tiny Blondie wrote:deadman has generously started this mean of sharing. His oldest post with ddl is apparently this one: https://www.first-loves.com/forums/view ... dbe#p76615

all the links are still active after many months.
Months? FLM is 15 years old, man. Are there any file hosts that have lived that long? I guess not. Which means sooner or later the links will be all dead.

Most ed2k links can be still shared on demand by some of the FLM members. I don't think it makes much sense to keep thousands of files shared "just in case".

I understand the security concerns with p2p, but file hosts are no good solution either.
Rich_Visiting wrote:I'm not sure about, but there is a strong correlation between when the decline of servers and server users when the US installed a government in Ukraine where most of the good servers were based
Absolutely. Just go to https://torrentfreak.com/ and search for "Ukraine"...
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

yoko wrote:FLM is 15 years old, man. Are there any file hosts that have lived that long? I guess not. Which means sooner or later the links will be all dead.
Maybe, but (hopefully) they will soon be re-uploaded on other servers if enough people have had access to the original posts. Moreover, uloz that is openly searchable (which means their copyright infringement is an open secret and no Megaupload-raid is to expect) and yandex.disk or mega (I'm of course not mentioning Google Drive) that are not really file hosters but offer online disk space for their users will probably not go down so easily.
Most ed2k links can be still shared on demand by some of the FLM members.
Yes, but only "most" of the better known movies - and these you can get elsewhere mostly. The problem are the very many unknown or less interesting movies (like many of the shorts). Don't look on the absolute number of FLM members but on the likes for an individual release - there are often only a few people that have downloaded them. And how many members would really take in consideration to re-release a movie?

BTW: How about allowing good file hosters (like uloz, yandex or mega) as a second method of release? That would not change much but it would counteract the steady growing of the REQuest folder a little. If someone likes he can still release the movies on eMule. Many of the orphaned REQuest threads could then be counted as RELeases.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Warg wrote:
yoko wrote:FLM is 15 years old, man. Are there any file hosts that have lived that long? I guess not. Which means sooner or later the links will be all dead.
Maybe, but (hopefully) they will soon be re-uploaded on other servers if enough people have had access to the original posts. Moreover, uloz that is openly searchable (which means their copyright infringement is an open secret and no Megaupload-raid is to expect) and yandex.disk or mega (I'm of course not mentioning Google Drive) that are not really file hosters but offer online disk space for their users will probably not go down so easily.
There are maybe a dozen people - if that many - who actually participate in FLM. There are a lot of people who join just so they can "Like" and download, but don't contribute anything, not even sharing what they leech. I don't have a problem with that because I'm not putting out any effort, but if you think moving from eMule to a file host will make more files available, even for a short time, you're mistaken - just uploading what I currently share to a file host would take months, and why should I bother, what's in it for me?

Anything that requires a conscious effort just won't happen. Also, no file host is going to give you terabytes of space for free. Somebody has to pay for premium, so that one person is the gatekeeper and the bottleneck, and everything depends on him/her to keep paying forever, and the host to not arbitrarily delete everything or just go out of business. All those files would have to be re-uploaded somewhere. Even torrents are severely limited. Posting a torrent works for a little while but those are notoriously short-lived, and keeping them updated becomes just as much hassle as uploading to a host. Again, why should I bother?
Warg wrote:
Yes, but only "most" of the better known movies - and these you can get elsewhere mostly. The problem are the very many unknown or less interesting movies (like many of the shorts). Don't look on the absolute number of FLM members but on the likes for an individual release - there are often only a few people that have downloaded them. And how many members would really take in consideration to re-release a movie?

BTW: How about allowing good file hosters (like uloz, yandex or mega) as a second method of release? That would not change much but it would counteract the steady growing of the REQuest folder a little. If someone likes he can still release the movies on eMule. Many of the orphaned REQuest threads could then be counted as RELeases.
Do you think requiring people to upload anything to a host will make files more available or reshares more likely, especially rare ones that fewer people - obviously - wanted in the first place? If anything, it will be the end of sharing. If the REQuests are getting larger, it's not because someone isn't sharing, it's because nobody wants to participate, nobody wants to do any of the work. Like I said, there's only a few of us who are actually active, the rest are just takers. We already allow dd links - knock yourself out - but to make it more likely those files are still available by anyone a year from now, they need to be posted on eMule too. Posting to a file host won't reduce the number of REQuest threads - someone has to find the film in the first place.

P2p is almost the only way to widely share the most amount with the least effort. Until someone comes up with something better, eMule is all there is.
Tiny Blondie

Post by Tiny Blondie »   0 likes

Not trying to influence anything here, I will just write what I have experienced. I am also a member of warez forums where they do they share software, etc., but also and mainly films (off topic films), the means of sharing is only DDL, the people who upload do it with their own Premium account (using well known hosts), the oldest of these communities started in 2006, files’ links are still alive. Using free account would be risky because if there is not enough downloads (at least 1/month), then the files will die one month after the last download (otherwise the file can stay online as long as it is dl). This risk is prevented with Premium account, files do not get deleted (because you pay for it). Now, one account, or some accounts, could be managed collectively, by a team.

There is probably not an universal solution to this issue, what may solve the problem for some will not be applicable to others, but the coexistence of alternative methods already enlarges the choice ;)
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta.
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:Do you think requiring people to upload anything to a host will make files more available or reshares more likely, especially rare ones that fewer people - obviously - wanted in the first place?
I know out of experience. On my hrenvam forum, that was deleted two days before, there were about half a dozen active members who uploaded movies to file hosters on request. But all of them (!) refrained from using eMule, mostly out of lazyness. Whenever they needed something from FLM it was my job to upload it. Most of the movies I made available that way were immediately copied by bloggers (and put to premium only, sigh - but nevertheless). Some eMule movies even found their way to blizzardkid via my transmission. From both sources they are probably copied again and again ...

The active people using eMule are a much more restricted group than the users of file hosters. You are right that an eMule release means less effort but this will not turn one file hoster user in an eMuler. And they are not even in error. My upload got hundreds of downlads in a few days (on a not much known forum) and I don't think you will find many releases here with hundreds of likes (= downloads, if we exclude download by eMule search) - the target group you reach is smaller on eMule ...
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I think this discussion leads to nothing.

I am happy with the p2p situation like it is. We are a small community, but also if some movies aren't available anymore, in most cases some of us are able to reshare them. Emule has become much better in one pont: 10 or 15 years ago people had much less bandwith for sharing. Files with only a few or only a single source were coming in with about 5 kb/s and simetimes it took weeks to get them complete. Nowerdays a single source often can give you more than 1 Mbit/s.

Well, I am not against using ddl's as additional source, but atm I really don't see a 100% alternative to the good old mule.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Warg wrote:
Yes, but only "most" of the better known movies - and these you can get elsewhere mostly. The problem are the very many unknown or less interesting movies (like many of the shorts).
Even most of the obscure ones can be reshared if you use the request system and have some patience, whereas almost 100% of the DD links (except uloz, and the latest from Deadman) are down.
Warg wrote:Don't look on the absolute number of FLM members but on the likes for an individual release - there are often only a few people that have downloaded them. And how many members would really take in consideration to re-release a movie?
If they were downloaded by one of the active members, they can be shared. BTW, the "like" system was implemented in 2011, so numbers are not correct for older releases.
Warg wrote:How about allowing good file hosters (like uloz, yandex or mega) as a second method of release? That would not change much but it would counteract the steady growing of the REQuest folder a little. If someone likes he can still release the movies on eMule. Many of the orphaned REQuest threads could then be counted as RELeases.
I think the reason why DD links were not allowed in the past was to help keeping the eMule network alive. We have lost the game anyway, so DD links are now welcome if the files can be easily downloaded and ed2k link provided. We need ed2k links to identify files in the database. If there is no ed2k link, it means none of the FLM staff downloaded and verified the file, so it is not fully a REL.

If anybody wants to volunteer uploading existing FLM files to DD hosts, he is welcome to do so, but be aware that some FLM members don't want their files to be shared that way.
Tiny Blondie wrote:I am also a member of warez forums where they do they share software, etc., but also and mainly films (off topic films), the means of sharing is only DDL, the people who upload do it with their own Premium account (using well known hosts), the oldest of these communities started in 2006, files’ links are still alive. Using free account would be risky because if there is not enough downloads (at least 1/month), then the files will die one month after the last download (otherwise the file can stay online as long as it is dl). This risk is prevented with Premium account, files do not get deleted (because you pay for it). Now, one account, or some accounts, could be managed collectively, by a team.
I think this is a business model where uploaders earn money for downloads or ads. I don't think this would work here. And paying for a premium account is a pain in the ass unless you use a credit card (or PayPal), which most people probably don't want.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:And paying for a premium account is a pain in the ass unless you use a credit card (or PayPal), which most people probably don't want.
Not only don't I want to pay with a credit card, I don't want to pay at all. It comes back to "What's in it for me? Why should I pay for someone else's benefit? Why should I put in the time and effort for nothing in return?" If someone wants to do that, they can go right ahead, but I'm not interested.
Tiny Blondie

Post by Tiny Blondie »   0 likes

It seems that everyone has expressed his opinion on the topic now, that’s fine, let us continue the way it is :D

@mimzy: never I would pay with my real CC. I don’t have an internet connection at home, cyber-cafe are used instead, where p2p would be impossible, so I have to rely on DDL and sometimes on Torrents. For the DDL, I use “debrideurs” (like real-debrid or all-debrid), that can be paid with tickets like PaySafe or NeoSurf cards (that are purchased with cash), or with gift cards (also purchased with cash), this way you don’t need to use your real CC, but there is also nothing that leads to you (no money trail). It may interest some of you to know this mean of payment. ;)
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I think the real issue is security and anonymity, to avoid getting hassled by the anti-piracy brigade and other lowlifes. If those issues were not a concern, it would be relatively easy to set up a source with HighID and permanent IP address. Then ed2k links could be shared here with the source embedded in the link itself. This is very effective - downloading starts almost immediately. However, that means that that IP address is exposed, and it is relatively easy to track down and prosecute the owner.

We could also have our own eMule server. I don't have much experience with that, though.