emule in 2019

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
SmeeHee

emule in 2019

Post by SmeeHee »   0 likes

The step by step instructions for setting up mule were posted in 2011 and that would be around the time i last used emule. I don't know of anyone who still uses it now it is very very old technology.
As i don't believe going backwards i won't be trying to find it, install it and configure pots etc. which is a shame as there are many movies on here i would like to download and i have a few i haven't seen on here i would like to upload.

Anyway congrats on a great site with many hard to find movies but unless links are posted that can be downloaded in ways other than emule then i guess i will miss out.

Incidentaly most of the posts here regarding emule are from years ago so is anyone still actually using it? Is there anyway links that are exclusively for emule be changed that they will download another way?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: emule in 2019

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   2 likes

First off, welcome to FLM.

There are thousands of people still using eMule along with other sharing methods - there are often both ed2k and dd links in the same post. We standardized on eMule years ago because files tend to stay around a long time and because of how easy and simple it is to share and reshare. You don't have to take the time and effort to upload, you simply put a file in a folder and click Reload, and anyone who wants it comes and gets it so the effort is all on them. Lots of stuff is only available on ed2k because of how easy it is for the source and because even old rare files can be found. A file you want from here doesn't seem to be available? Ask for a reshare - someone will put it in their share folder for you.

It would be great if you joined in but I understand if you don't want to go through the hassle of setting up eMule - and it IS a hassle, that's why I wrote that how-to so long ago. Once configured though, it's rock-solid and you rarely, if ever, have to change settings. For those with limited bandwidth, you can throttle eMule to leave bandwidth for other internet use, and downloads are pretty much start-and-forget until the entire file is received. True, it's almost always much slower than direct download so you might not get instant gratification, but that's also a plus because files almost always eventually complete. Often with DD, if you don't get it as soon as it's released, you won't get it at all.

We've had the same eMule/DD argument for a dozen years and we reached a consensus. Nothing's impossible and technology moves on, but I don't foresee us changing to a different method in the near future. Ed2k has its limitations but so do the other P2P sharing methods available right now. Maybe we're ALL waiting for the next big advance. ;)

In any case, nothing's stopping you from sharing by other methods or asking others to share that way too. Stick around, get to know people, and don't let eMule be a barrier.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   2 likes

Yes, it is old technology but from seeders (that who's sharing something) perspective it has one big advantage

You can share something without advertising it somewhere and leechers (those who wish to receive it) still find your stuff thanks to emule's search engine as long as you label your files with real names (for example if you are sharing pictures from your cat you name your files so)

Another resource with such feature is uloz
Warg

Post by Warg »   1 likes

SmeeHee wrote:As i don't believe going backwards i won't be trying to find it, install it and configure pots etc. which is a shame as there are many movies on here i would like to download ...
As someone who is himself surely not (!) a diehard eMuler I can only agree: It's a shame to miss out on such a great resource as eMule just out of arrogance ...

If eMule is old technology or not is irrelevant. It still does it's job and it is the place where you can find the movies you search. Sorry but facing reality can be hard ;).

Even if we would change to file hosters in future, I doubt anyone would be willing to upload hundreds of mostly mediocrite movies (the classics are up anyway) on hosters.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

eMule is an awesome application, primarily because the people with these movies are from an older generation and once learn't it is very easy to use.

That said, I have always welcomed some sort of encryption for eMule that would, especially in this day and age, expand the user base. I did try imule at one point which connects through i2p but got complete lost on the setup process :oops: But even then encryption brings with it a whole set of other issues, not least the propensity for "misuse" which would throw p2p back into the limelight :idea:.

If one day all the movies here could be uploaded to some server permanently for dd then this would be awesome, but at present I think this is not a possibility due to the server space, bandwidth that would be required and security issues. Maybe one day in the future this can be achieved and these movies can be immortalised for future generations (which I think is very important!). But for now eMule offers a very good method of sharing and as with all things in life; if it isn't broken don't fix it!
Warg

Post by Warg »   2 likes

I agree but I see one big problem. The greatest strength of eMule is at once it greatest weakness: it depends on sharing. Think of the many eMule links that are either already dead or only theoretically available. On forums like this you can ask for a re-release, that's true, but who are the people that do these re-releases. It's a small and still decreasing number and most work is done by Ghost and Phuzzy4242. Without them flm wouldn't survive for long, I fear ...

For keeping the movies alive as much exchange as possible between the different methods of file sharing is crucial - one forum alone can probably not longer guarantee this ... :think
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

Nothing lasts forever and I foresee a day when eMule dies. It's already half the size it was just 5 years ago as far as number of people on the servers. I'm sure there will be something that will take eMule's place in the future.

Ghost is great at finding upgrades to films, but you and other people have been finding lots of stuff and posting both ed2k and dd links, so don't think you're not important to FLM. I haven't released much lately because of time constraints but I'll keep sharing - both ghost and I have NAS and I'm getting all my DVDs and DBs copied onto mine to make reshares easier (too many to keep online at one time).

If/when we do move off of eMule, I don't think it will be all at once, it will be incremental - we gradually start using a new method while still maintaining the old until eventually no one is using eMule. I don't think it's going to happen in the near future.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

And another advantage of mules torrents and magnets is that... you don't need to waste extra time for uploading... you simply seed and the person who wish the movie can download it from you as soon as you hane started your p2p and should something happen with your connection or pc nothing bad happen...if everything is ok again you can resume from that point where uploading/downloading interrepted.

Negative side is that many especially younger ones simply don't know emule or simply think it is some sort of old people's weirdness :D
Last edited by ferdi111 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I don't use torrent programs. One big advantage of eMule is its search ability - you can enter a keyword or phrase and it will find filenames that contain it. Can torrent programs like BitTorrent search or do you have to rely on finding a torrent or magnet elsewhere?

<Edit> Just installed BitTorrent. I'll have to play with it to learn it. :think
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:I don't use torrent programs. One big advantage of eMule is its search ability - you can enter a keyword or phrase and it will find filenames that contain it. Can torrent programs like BitTorrent search or do you have to rely on finding a torrent or magnet elsewhere?

<Edit> Just installed BitTorrent. I'll have to play with it to learn it. :think
I used BitLord for a while that has an inbuilt search function but you probably wont find any FLM type movies (unless they are mainstream). I gave up on Bitlord because it kept crashing so switched to qBittorrent which works well, then I just use TPB website to locate links.

eMule is much, much easier to search for files and a more custom search can be run.

Also I had a letter from my ISP telling me to stop downloading John Wick :lol: , but only because I had no VPN.