Browser and emule

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
triviatus

Browser and emule

Post by triviatus »   0 likes

Just a quick newbie question. When using emule (up and down) do I need to have a browser open. I ask because I am in the middle of a download (four days so far) and am worried about my system getting cluttered. I do a weekly clean of temp files and things but I need browser to be off.
What time is it Eccles?
ghost
Site Admin

Re: Browser and emule

Post by ghost »   0 likes

You can close all your other applications while running eMule. All you need is an internet connection.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

Did I understand correctly that if using emule all the rest (browsing for example) is very slow?
If so then maybe it helps if you try to limit your download and upload speed?
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

You can even exit eMule for a while and then restart it, all downloads will continue normally. In fact this is what happens when you close down and restart your computer ...

P.S.: If you ever loose your server list , or cannot connect to any server (happened to me a few times in the past) try this link: http://www.gruk.org/list
triviatus

Thanks for the replies - very helpful. After reading ghost and ferdi111 I ran my mcafee quick clean and regained 3gb. My problem is that two of my apps - winzip and wonder fox video converter factory don't seem to want to start up. Since finding FLM I have spent quite a long time ploughing through the films, and since beginning a download on Xmas eve my laptop has been working nonstop. This is why I mentioned the system getting 'clogged'.
What time is it Eccles?
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

triviatus wrote:and since beginning a download on Xmas eve my laptop has been working nonstop
That's why I wrote you can exit eMule (or your PC as a whole) whenever you like. It's not like downloading from a file hoster. You don't have to download in one rush. If you're unlucky a download can take months ...
triviatus

I shut down for half an hour and when I turned on again everything was back to normal although i did hear my laptop sigh when I shut down!!!!!
What time is it Eccles?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

eMule can sometimes be a test of patience. I've had files I really really wanted take months to download. My computer was rebooted many times , and even changed eMule versions (most have a way to import stuff you're currently downloading but haven't completed yet).

For keeping computers clean, I can recommend two free programs. Wise Disk Cleaner easily cleans up junk, temporary files, caches, etc. and the free version even lets you schedule the cleanups. The other is Wise Registry Cleaner and it goes through the registry and cleans that up too. It also has a scheduler. I've been using both without problems for years, both at home and work.
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:My computer was rebooted many times , and even changed eMule versions (most have a way to import stuff you're currently downloading but haven't completed yet).
But there is one thing eMule does not like at all: a crashing PC (e.g. because of overheating). Then it can happen that the met-file is corrupted and the download does not longer show up in the download list, though the downloaded fragment is still in your "temp" folder. It can be repaired but it's not real fun. So shutting down your computer sometimes is in fact much better then letting it work for days ...