Android 5 eMule client?

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
emuler

Re: Android 5 eMule client?

Post by emuler »   0 likes

jpf wrote: That won't work for me, since the whole point of using my phone here is to use free WiFi access points. There are a bunch of them all along downtown, shops, hospitals, etc., but I don't have access to their routers.
I have LowID
Then I guess I won't be downloading at high speed from you...
I'm seeing you with HighID, so congrats on sorting out your network. :clap Good job.
jpf

Post by jpf »   1 likes

I'm seeing you with HighID, so congrats on sorting out your network.
Thanks for your support !

I was about to update you.

When you saw me today I was at a friend's home. He has a plain internet connection (I mean not metered). Yesterday I asked him permission to download something huge through it.

He had no idea what I was talking about. He uses his internet connection just to play, whatch YouTube and WhatsApp. He had no idea what's eMule or Torrents or Filehosters. He even doesn't have an email account. He said it was OK, "do whatever you want".

I already had his WiFi user and password stored on my phone from earlier visits to him. Neither he or I had any idea how to access his ONT settings, so we did nothing to open ports or whatever. In my phone the "Mule on Android" app had the "Redirect ports using UPnP" enabled.

I just ran the app, connected to one of the servers in the list, pasted the ed2k link from gost's post, and it started downloading from 1 source at 300 - 800 KB/s. I didn't recognize te username of the source. In about half an hour I had 1.2 GB downloaded into the SD card. Then the speed dropped to 0 and the label said "Waiting for sources". That was yesterday.

Today I paid my friend another visit (I was helping him with some house improvement). I ran the app and the download resumed immediatelly, this time at about 800 - 1400 KB/s. This time I didn't check what user I was downloading from, sorry. A few minutes later the 2.53 GB download was complete.

So I queued "Nishi no majo ga shinda (2008)" for download but I didn't get a single byte of it in the next hour.

Then it was time get back home, and here I am, writing the news. That's all about it.

My next step will be to try a free WiFi spot. If and when I'll get to do it is difficult to say. I'm trying to stay in the street as briefly as possible because of the risk of getting the virus (Covid-19). Here in Uruguay the situation isn't as bad as in Brazil or Argentina but still I don't want to take unnecesary risks.

Meanwhile I may pay my friend other visits (he's in my social bubble together with other 6 members of his family) and continue downloading "Nishi no majo ga shinda (2008)" and maybe queue up "Jack of the Red Hearts (2015)". I found a Torrent for it and have it queued in uTorrent in my phone but haven't got anything yet.

Just off-topic, but worth mentioning here:

Torrents have solved the NAT- traversing problem (using UDP, I believe), so you get high transfer speeds without the need for opening ports.

So I wonder, since you can use the same folder for sharing on eMule as on Torrent, why not use both simultaneously? Those who like eMule could use eMule and those who like Torrents better can go for Torrents. Or have the lowid eMule transfers switched to Torrent and leave the rest on eMule...

The problem of searching remains: you can't P2P search for Torrents, you must rely on Web pages listing them (or am I wrong?). But for us who visit FLM often that Web page could well be FLM. I mean, you can post magnet links along with ed2k links. Or even post the Torrent file as an attachment. (And eventually DDL links, if you got the file you're sharing from those?).

I know this topic was already addressed in other thread, so maybe it should be splitted from this thread?

Finally, for now, a big THANKS Phuzzy4242 and emuler for your involvement, cooperation and information on this venture! Also to all who share files and info here.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Okay, that explains why you disappeared after a while. uPnP, when it works, is like magic.

The problem of not having an outward facing IP address doesn't go away with torrents - the tracker still has to be hosted on a computer that is reachable. That said, there are a couple of things you can try. If your friend allows it, you could run an eMule client on his PC, you can remote control it from your device using the web interface. Or, even better, if you have an old PC/laptop you could leave it running at his place - that way he is free to reboot his PC as and when he pleases. Do teach him how to control the speed in case he needs it for a particular game.
jpf

Post by jpf »   0 likes

The problem of not having an outward facing IP address doesn't go away with torrents - the tracker still has to be hosted on a computer that is reachable.
I think I understand what you mean. Maybe it was a too far-fetched idea. But I think it's worth considering. Maybe we can use a public tracker or set a FLM private tracker?
If your friend allows it, you could run an eMule client on his PC
Yours is a clever idea --but I don't feel comfortable about it. It would be far too invasive.

There's no working PC at his home. They had 2 of them a long time ago but now all 6 family members use Android devices (phones and/or tablets). There are 2 smart TVs, too, but none of them is connected to internet -- just cable. I could bring one PC of mine, if I had a spare one, which I don't. Even if I had, it should connect to internet through WiFi, because the Lan interfase of the ONT doesn't allow uPnP or manual port forwarding.

I asked permission for a one time test, and he granted it. But a permanent dependency -- I don't feel comfortable about asking for so much of him. I'm sure he wouldn't mind that I use his internet connection in my phone for whatever every time I visit him, but for now I'll ask on a one-time basis.

And your idea would just solve the problem of staying connected all the time. I'd still have to go visit him to transfer the downloaded files to my phone.

My initial idea was to use free WiFi spots, but even if it works (it works for well seeded Torrents and DDLs) it's not nice having to spend time in the street just for downloading.

In the long term I'll have to change my internet plan. My current plan allows 1 GB per month transfer. Before retiring (I retired Nov 20, 2020) I did most of my internet use at work. Now I must face a new reality and build a new lifestyle for myself. But right now, while in the middle of Covid-19 pandemics, it's not the right time to make long-term decisions.

For now our ISP (state owned) Antel is giving away 50 GB per month free of charge to all of us with the 1 GB plan so we stay at home during the pandemia. That covers checking my email, WhatsApp, some Web browsing and downloading a few small-sized movies. But this is due to end sooner or later. Maybe by mid 2021, or even sooner. They're also often offering cheap one-time refill offers, but they're very short term. For example, now they offer 40 GB to be used-up within 3 days for UYU 120 (U$S 3). But with one trick: they take effect only after your 1 GB included in your plan + those free 50 GB are all used up. So they force you to buy expensive refills for the rest of the month.

My current 1 GB internet plan costs me UYU 220 (U$S 5) a month. The cheapest almost-not-metered plan cost is UYU 1570 (U$S 37) a month (on a min. 2 year contract). This is about the same amonut of money I spend in food per month!
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Hang in there - internet prices keep falling. Six months ago I was spending US$5 or so per month for 1.5 GB per day on a 3G network. Now I have fiber - 30 Mbps unlimited (actually 3300 GB per month, but that's practically unlimited), for about US$6 per month. If I could only get HighID I'd be a happy camper, but I'm grateful for what I've got.

Note that eMule is not very resource hungry. A crappy semi-functional old laptop - keyboard not working, cracked screen, etc. - will do the job. Plug in an external keyboard and display to install Windows and eMule, enable the eMule webserver, and that's it. If you run a file server using the same folder as eMule incoming, you can retrieve your downloaded files from your home. So it is doable, technically.

Otherwise, you need to look for direct download links. They do exist, even on this forum - just search here for 'zippyshare' and you'll find plenty, mostly posted by deadman, although he prefers HD, so those might be too big for you. uloz.to is also a good resource, so browse FLM for finding out about the films you like, then see if they are available there. I don't have many films shared, but if you want something I have, send me a PM and I'll try to upload it to a file host - remember, those links don't last very long, which is why we use eMule in the first place.
jpf

Post by jpf »   0 likes

internet prices keep falling
Not so much here. At least not in the last 10 years or so.

Your ISP prices are way cheaper than what we pay here. The U$S 37 plan I mentioned allows 360 GB of transfer per month at full speed (7 MB/s), after that the speed is reduced to 128 kB/s.
If you run a file server using the same folder as eMule incoming, you can retrieve your downloaded files from your home.
But that would defeat my only goal: not to use my transfer capacity (51 GB per month now but soon to be reduced to 1 GB per month) on downloading movies, no matter where from or which way are they downloaded, be it by retrieving them from my friend's home, from a filehoster via DDL, or from you using eMule. The only way is downloading them elsewhere and carrying them home in my phone, memory stick, or external HDD.

This is a problem I must solve on my end. I can use some help in the meantime, but not as a permanent solution.
if you want something I have, send me a PM and I'll try to upload it to a file host
Thanks so much for the offer! For now I'll try to download from you via eMule since your upload speed is huge. If finally I can't use eMule on free WiFi spots, then I may eventually ask you to upload something to a filehoster for DDL.

About DDL links being short-lived, I think it depends on the server. I have files stored in Uloz 10 years ago and they're still alive. I don't even need to download them to keep them alive, just accessing my free account once a month is enough. The proof is that some of those files are not shared and they're still alive even if I never downloaded them (they're backups).

FIleshare, on the other hand, deletes my files after 1 month of not being downloaded. So does Mega (or is it 2 months on Mega?).