[REL] The Silent Child (2017) [UK]

Short films and movies available on-line at Vimeo, YouTube and similar sites can be posted here once they have an ed2k link.
kev
Site Admin

[REL] The Silent Child (2017) [UK]

Post by kev »   18 likes

The Silent Child (2017)

Don't know where I came across this one. It might be in ART's MegaPost or I might have found it while searching for information on another movie. :think

Synopsis:
Set in rural England and inspired by real life events. The Silent Child centres around a profoundly deaf four year old girl named Libby who is born into a middle class family and lives in a world of silence until a caring social worker teaches her the gift of communication.
Pix:
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]

Stars a very cute and Dakota Fanning-ish looking Maisie Sly as Libby. Like the actress Marlee Matlin, Maisie is actually deaf.

Overall the movie is a sweet slice-of-life drama that could have probably played out into a full length motion picture. The comparisons to Helen Keller's story can't be overlooked [although Maisie's not blind], yet this being a more updated and modern telling reveals how little has changed from Helen Keller's time as far as the acceptance and education of deaf children in the school community. The biggest drawback for me was the film just sort of ends. It feels like there should be more, but it just ends... :(

Official FB Page:
https://www.facebook.com/TheSilentChildFilm

I couldn't find the film on YouTube or Vimeo, but oddly enough it popped up on the European 'nrk' site:
https://tv.nrk.no/program/KOIF20000718/the-silent-child

Hopefully someone will be able to make an ed2k link from this and some of the other shorts here in the [REQ] section with streaming links and post them to make the shorts official [REL]'s.. ;)

kev.

EDIT: (After almost a month from original post date...) :evil:
Since no one seems interested enough to post an ed2k link, I will:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [348.80 Mb]

This is a short worth seeing.

kev.
kev
Site Admin

Re: [REL] The Silent Child (2017) [UK]

Post by kev »   2 likes

BUMP!

I just posted an ed2k link for this short....

kev.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   11 likes

UPGRADE!!

Thank you, kev.

This one absolutely broke my heart. I wanted to strangle that arrogant and oblivious mother who insisted that SHE knew what was best for her children, but had time and energy for absolutely everything EXCEPT learning to understand what her youngest child had to say.

Streaming up to 2160p with subtitles in multiple languages:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GbxFIVQv8c

(I shared it in 1080p on emule below, because the 4k is rather indulgently oversized for a short.)
vlcsnap-2022-09-30-16h26m45s219.jpg
vlcsnap-2022-09-30-16h28m00s100.jpg
vlcsnap-2022-09-30-16h29m03s595.jpg
Subtitles for both the spoken dialog and the sign language,
in German, Modern Greek, English, Spanish, French, Hebrew, Japanese, and Chinese Traditional.
The Silent Child (2017)-de.el.en.es.fr.iw.ja.zh-Hant.zip
|
1080p in English and sign language with optional English subtitles:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [192.99 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [22.8 Kb]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Thanks for the excellent upgrade, Night! This is one I watched right before I discovered FLM, and the story of little Libby really drew me. And Night, I know exactly what you mean about her mother. I could see it happening around halfway through the film, and I was like NO, OH NO.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:47 amI could see it happening around halfway through the film, and I was like NO, OH NO.
There were several lines of dialog that made me think that! (Less than 1/4 way was enough for me to evaluate Mother.) SPOILERS for those who have not watched it yet.
Spoiler:

Social worker Jo: ​​"​ ​A lot of children respond really​ ​​well to sign, because it's less frustrating.​"​
Mother: "​I can't see that being the case,​ ​​Libby follows what we're saying really well.​"
Mother: "No we only found out​ ​​she was deaf when she was 3 and a half -​ ​​ ​Which probably makes​ ​​me a bloody awful mother but... ​ ​​​Because she had a bit of​ ​​hearing in her left ear that was overcompensating... ​​​Apparently that's common?"​ ​​
Jo: "You're not an​ ​​​awful mother, it's very common -​" ​​
Mother: "I told you she​ ​​was quiet."​ ​​
Jo: "Does she ever interact?"​ ​​
Mother: "Yeah she follows what we're​ ​​saying really well -​ "
And it just got worse from there.