Future FLM development ideas

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
donkeykog

Re: Future FLM development ideas

Post by donkeykog »   1 likes

Interesting article on anonymity out yesterday. Due to the NSA leaks by Snowden, many more options for anonymity may soon be available.
Growing backlash to government surveillance leads to more civilian security measures
Counterattacks have been placed in response to the National Security Agency's widespread surveillance programs.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z2hdEr6H2t
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   2 likes

I have now implemented the reshare button thing. Each user can request up to 20 files (last 20 requests are kept) and the requests expire after 7 days. Those parameters (20 files, 7 days) can be set to anything that the community wants.
donkeykog

My guess is you check the box and push the button. I am going to test this theory out with some wanted posts :D
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I had a "duh" moment and figured it out myself.
donkeykog

HAHA its ok :D
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

The button might be be better understood if it's labelled something like "Request Repost of Selected Files".
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   0 likes

I am concerned that most people won't go to the request page to see what they can share.

I do like the direction we are going with it though :D
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   0 likes

Okay so Phuzzy has kindly re-posted or re-plied to two of my requests! (Thks P)

BUT!

In order for him to let me know they were re-posted he had to post under the name of the title.

This again bumped new posts for an old post with no real new info thereby negating the benefit of the button.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

There's also no way to remove or acknowledge the repost request once it's been fulfilled other than waiting for it to "time out".

I think donkeykog is right about people ignoring the repost page. Maybe "Requested Files" can be bolded if there are new repost requests since a user last looked at the page.

He's right again about the new posts with no new info, plus without something that says "This is a Repost Request Response" or something, the bump looks like someone just answered out of nowhere.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Thanks for feedback guys :D
Phuzzy4242 wrote:The button might be be better understood if it's labelled something like "Request Repost of Selected Files".
Easy to change, but I thought such a long button would look ugly.
donkeykog wrote:I am concerned that most people won't go to the request page to see what they can share.
That's what I was afraid of too, but I could't come up with a solution that would be effective and not too intrusive (ie., a popup each time a request is added). If you have Javascript enabled and you click on the button, a message should appear next to the button that directs you to the request page, so most users should be at least aware of the page if they request files from time to time.
Phuzzy4242 wrote:Maybe "Requested Files" can be bolded if there are new repost requests since a user last looked at the page.
That would be one possible solution, but it implies that users reload the index page, which might not be the case. In principle, the link can be added at the top of *all* pages, though.
Phuzzy4242 wrote:In order for him to let me know they were re-posted he had to post under the name of the title.
That wasn't absolutely necessary.
Phuzzy4242 wrote:There's also no way to remove or acknowledge the repost request once it's been fulfilled other than waiting for it to "time out".
This might be something I still need to work on, but it isn't so straightforward to implement. Firstly, who should acknowledge, the user who requested or the user who shared? The user who requested can remove the request by
* unselecting the checkbox and clicking the "Request selected files" button (yes, I suppose this is not intuitive);
* requesting more files (only the last 20 files are kept);
* waiting for the request to time out.

I've been thinking about adding another column to the table—the number of acknowledgements. Ie., on the request page, each row could have a checkbox and a "Acknowledge selected files" button at the bottom. However, this can be counter-productive if people acknowledge files that they are effectively not sharing. In practice I doubt we will have a problem of too *many* FLM members resharing a file :P