Future FLM development ideas

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
mimzy

Re: Future FLM development ideas

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

mimzy wrote:Thanks for feedback guys :D
Phuzzy4242 wrote:The button might be be better understood if it's labelled something like "Request Repost of Selected Files".
Easy to change, but I thought such a long button would look ugly.
I added a "tooltip" (appears when you hover over the button), OK?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:
Phuzzy4242 wrote:The button might be be better understood if it's labelled something like "Request Repost of Selected Files".
Easy to change, but I thought such a long button would look ugly.
Maybe "Request Repost(s) would be OK, and the button wouldn't work if none of the links were checked.
mimzy wrote:
Phuzzy4242 wrote:Maybe "Requested Files" can be bolded if there are new repost requests since a user last looked at the page.
That would be one possible solution, but it implies that users reload the index page, which might not be the case. In principle, the link can be added at the top of *all* pages, though.
I figured it could be something like the indicator that shows when at least one new post has been made. It doesn't matter if it's not immediately updated after checking the reposts page.
mimzy wrote:
Phuzzy4242 wrote:There's also no way to remove or acknowledge the repost request once it's been fulfilled other than waiting for it to "time out".
This might be something I still need to work on, but it isn't so straightforward to implement. Firstly, who should acknowledge, the user who requested or the user who shared? The user who requested can remove the request by
* unselecting the checkbox and clicking the "Request selected files" button (yes, I suppose this is not intuitive);
* requesting more files (only the last 20 files are kept);
* waiting for the request to time out.

I've been thinking about adding another column to the table—the number of acknowledgements. Ie., on the request page, each row could have a checkbox and a "Acknowledge selected files" button at the bottom. However, this can be counter-productive if people acknowledge files that they are effectively not sharing. In practice I doubt we will have a problem of too *many* FLM members resharing a file :P
How about having two buttons similar to the Like button - one to make a request, the other to acknowledge it. Then on the Requests page, sort by thread title (so Requests and Acknowledgements are shown together). Display Requests in red and Acknowledgements in green. It doesn't matter how many of each are shown and the timeout will eventually remove all of them with no further user intervention. If you also display the names of Requesters and Acknowledgers, reposters will know who to blame and requesters will know who to thank. ;)
mimzy

Phuzzy4242 wrote:Maybe "Request Repost(s) would be OK, and the button wouldn't work if none of the links were checked.
The name of button is misleading anyway. If none of the links are checked, you can still click the button to cancel you requests, so the button should be named "update" something. (Besides, enabling/disabling the button depending on whether any of the links are checked would be AFAIK impossible without Javascript and I wanted this to work without Javascript too.)
Phuzzy4242 wrote:
mimzy wrote:
Phuzzy4242 wrote:Maybe "Requested Files" can be bolded if there are new repost requests since a user last looked at the page.
That would be one possible solution, but it implies that users reload the index page, which might not be the case. In principle, the link can be added at the top of *all* pages, though.
I figured it could be something like the indicator that shows when at least one new post has been made. It doesn't matter if it's not immediately updated after checking the reposts page.
Yes, but if the link was only on the index page and you would have to reload the page anyway to see if there are new requests, you could reload the request page in the first place. If the link was on all pages, it would be a different story, but still a half solution. Ideal would be to indicate all new (unseen) files with red color or something on the request page itself as well (although the list is already sorted by first the number of requests and then the last request time decreasing). I will think about it.
Phuzzy4242 wrote:How about having two buttons similar to the Like button - one to make a request, the other to acknowledge it. Then on the Requests page, sort by thread title (so Requests and Acknowledgements are shown together). Display Requests in red and Acknowledgements in green. It doesn't matter how many of each are shown and the timeout will eventually remove all of them with no further user intervention. If you also display the names of Requesters and Acknowledgers, reposters will know who to blame and requesters will know who to thank. ;)
The "Like" button likes the whole post. In case of reshare requests, I wanted to offer the possibility to request individual files. I used checkboxes and a single submit-type button to avoid depending on Javascript.

If there was an acknowledgement button, I would put it on the request list page for faster access. On the other hand, it would be necessary to check the exact hash of the acknowledged file :roll:

I wouldn't like to display the nicknames of users who requested or acknowledged the files due to privacy reasons.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Why not use the request button to flag the thread in some way? Like the way the 'view unread posts' link works for threads with new posts. Just a thought.

A separate 'view reshare requests' might be a good idea, but IMHO simply marking that thread as unread should suffice, along with a reshare request flag when that thread is viewed.
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   0 likes

So making the reshare request NEW without really posting
mimzy

Note sure if that would be OK with the majority. If the request button will be used as heavily as the like button in the future (most of the liked files are *not* shared), then "view unread posts" would look like https://www.first-loves.com/forums/s ... ked_topics (minus the recent posts). Also, expect most of the forums to be marked "unread" every day...
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   0 likes

How easy would it be to add a button for each line on the request page that you can push once you've reshared that file? Maybe pushing it will simultaneously remove the file from the request list and automatically send a pm to the person/people who requested it notifying them that it's been reshared?

Also if you could add more information to the request page (ex. filesize, hash id) it would be easier to know if you are sharing the correct file. Sometimes I rename files after I download them and so I might not know if I am sharing the exact file that was requested.
mimzy

For An Angel wrote:How easy would it be to add a button for each line on the request page that you can push once you've reshared that file? Maybe pushing it will simultaneously remove the file from the request list
That can be done, but I would add ACK counter rather than remove the request from the list, so other people can see which files are shared any may decide to download those files too. Sounds like a good idea :think
For An Angel wrote:and automatically send a pm to the person/people who requested it notifying them that it's been reshared?
I guess this is not needed. If they are running the client, they will notice that the file has been shared ;)
For An Angel wrote:Also if you could add more information to the request page (ex. filesize, hash id) it would be easier to know if you are sharing the correct file. Sometimes I rename files after I download them and so I might not know if I am sharing the exact file that was requested.
The problem is that in this case people could get ed2k links without "liking". I might display ed2k links if the post has been already liked by the user viewing the page or if the user is the author of the post :think
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Please keep in mind that one resharer might not always be enough - talking mainly about myself, here, with my limited bandwidth. A reshare from one of the big guns would certainly speed up anything reshared by me.
mimzy

OK, I was lazy, so a simplified implementation. It is now possible to ack requested files. If a file is acked, a simple flag is set and a check mark (✓) is added to the request count. It is currently not possible to reset the flag manually; the flag is reset when the file is removed from the list.

Direct ed2k link is added to the file name if the link is visible in post.