Image Hosts

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
emuler

Re: Image Hosts

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I've never had the bandwidth to really test them out, but aren't there programs like web-whacker (IIRC) that will download entire websites, including linked images? I think you have to specify how many links deep you want to go.

Hosting images at FLM WILL cause bandwidth problems, with starfish21 being the prime culprit. LOL (Kidding, starfish21 - we love your screenshots, though the same cannot be said for your avatars). ;)
emuler

I visited the forum today and all the images were gone. :o :shock: Then I realised that I wasn't logged in. Didn't know that we made people log in to see images. :roll:
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

That was done from the first, just like non-members can't "Like" a post or click on eMule links. I'm not sure if it's helped or not - out of the more than 1400 members, there are only a dozen or so who ever post anything at all, let alone make a release. I know it's not easy to find something to release that isn't already here, but if you're a guest to dinner it's polite to at least say 'thanks'.

If the takers merely shared what they took it would be perfectly OK, but it's pretty much download and disappear. Of course, when a film is unshared and otherwise unavailable, a reshare is much more likely for someone who's been courteous. I'll also add someone to my Friends list who's shared stuff I want so their downloads go lots faster, even if they don't put the [FLM] tag next to their nick.

We talked about using some kind of ratio system but we'd just end up with lots of junk posts and nobody wants that. We'd like to hear anyone's ideas about how to get people to actually participate. The more who do, the more there is for everyone. ;)
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Yeah, IIRC hiding the images was implemented before the new FLM was even launched. Some members thought that guests having full access to the forum (except the privilege to post) was not right; on the other hand I'd hate having to register to see anything at all. So this was the compromise we came up with. "Likes" and hiding eMule links was implemented later, when the new FLM had been already running for a couple of months.

A nice side effect of hiding the images is that they won't appear in Google image search (possibly causing unwanted attention), but the text is indexed.

Sorry, I've been quite busy lately. Hoping to participate more in the future...
emuler

I'm fine with hiding images for those who aren't registered. Its just that for a moment I thought postimage.com had died. :bigups

Some forums have a thanks button. I kind of like that - doesn't clutter up the threads with posts that have nothing in them except the thanks. I'd like to do that before I've watched the film, and then come back and make a comment or two after I've seen it.

Some forums give a list of who has thanked the poster for that post; IMO that too is a good thing.

Sorry, I'm in the wrong thread for this discussion. :oops:
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

emuler wrote:Some forums have a thanks button. I kind of like that - doesn't clutter up the threads with posts that have nothing in them except the thanks. I'd like to do that before I've watched the film, and then come back and make a comment or two after I've seen it.
That's how you would use the "like" button, isn't it :roll:
emuler wrote:Some forums give a list of who has thanked the poster for that post; IMO that too is a good thing.
IIRC, we discussed all that extensively and our solution was the "like" button. In particular, we decided to not list the users who "liked" or "thanked" or whatever, so they would be urged to post a comment or two ;)

I know some forums with huge number of posts per day want the members to use the thanks button rather than post a comment, unless they have to say something informative, but we want to encourage people to post more.