Forums

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
starfish21

Re: Forums

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

I don't doubt for a second that the search function is better than it was,but it hasn't really made any difference to me,as i've never got the hang of it anyway.I posted a russian movie recently,having searched every which way but loose for it beforehand,only to discover a little while later,that a couple of the 'usual suspects' had found an earlier release of it [Image] .How many members here do you think would've found it? , If i've been here for years and still can't use the full potential,what chance have the lesser experienced members got of finding stuff,i don't know if there is a tutorial for search,but maybe we should have,so my point is...don't think of the search as an overall solution.i vote for all shorts in one place.Anything without an emule link,even if it's a stream,should be a req.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

Sorry but for some reason I find your rant amusing... :lol: Perhaps because I can relate to Russian search woes :twisted:

Russian movies because they can be spelled so many different ways can often 'not' come up in a simple search. I always look for different ways it may be spelled then I check the first few pages in Russia to see if it may be there. If not I figure at least it has been a while since it was posted. If some one finds another thread than oh well...

Considering how many things we both release it doesn't matter much if at all if a duplicate pops up on a rare occasion. I think the few who bring up the old original threads are just happy they finally found something you didn't and usually a simple merge is all that is needed. 8-)
Last edited by ptguardian on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

No worries,it wasn't a serious rant 8-) ,i'm well used to the 'russian spelling' issue,and my post didn't get interred.The shorts subject though,is something we should decide on,i've been posting 'various shorts' collections in 'thelostmovies' and it's been labourious locating the original posts,to get info and images.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

starfish21 wrote:I don't doubt for a second that the search function is better than it was,but it hasn't really made any difference to me,as i've never got the hang of it anyway.I posted a russian movie recently,having searched every which way but loose for it beforehand,only to discover a little while later,that a couple of the 'usual suspects' had found an earlier release of it.
I can't rule out the possibility that the search system, the old bugger, stops working when I'm not around... :mrgreen:

In this particular case I just searched for "crooked mirrors" (if you try that again, you'll get one invalid result due to the thread that no longer exists, which will disappear after the search index is regenerated), but even if you use wrong spelling like "krikvyh zerkal", the system tries to suggest the correct search term ("Did you mean krivykh zerkal?"). Maybe you can find out the search phrases that you tried and didn't work? Correctness of the search system is a very important issue for me.

Of course I don't check all releases, but "crooked mirrors" is so well known I immediately thought that it must have been posted here already.

BTW, I recommend to not use "Advanced search" unless the extra options are needed. "FLM Search" is usually better at finding stuff.
emuler wrote:Since mimzy will be doing most of the work involved in making whatever change is eventually decided upon, his opinion is especially important.
Actually it's Phuzzy doing most of the administrative work :oops:

I'm just speaking from user's perspective. We should not make the rules too ambiguous and we should think about actual use cases. Are there users who are interested in shorts and not in full-length movies (or vice versa)? I guess not many. On the other hand, there might be users who are only interested in online streaming stuff, because they cannot use eMule.

In any case, having both "Online Streaming Movies" and "Shorts" would be IMO too confusing. Renaming "Online Streaming Movies" to "Shorts" (or "Online Streaming and Shorts") would be fine with me, but I don't think we should move all shorts to this section. Particularly longer shorts that are ripped from DVD should IMO remain in release section.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

mimzy wrote:I can't rule out the possibility that the search system, the old bugger, stops working when I'm not around... :mrgreen:
You're being unnecessarily modest - the improvements you wrote have been solid and stable for quite awhile, at least as far as I've seen. :clap
mimzy wrote:In any case, having both "Online Streaming Movies" and "Shorts" would be IMO too confusing. Renaming "Online Streaming Movies" to "Shorts" (or "Online Streaming and Shorts") would be fine with me, but I don't think we should move all shorts to this section. Particularly longer shorts that are ripped from DVD should IMO remain in release section.
I think changing the name to "Online Streaming and Shorts" is a good compromise. I didn't plan to move anything from the Releases forums but I'll probably move stuff from General there, and any oddball ones I notice elsewhere.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

mimzy: how much work would it be to put just <the title of the post> in the browser title bar instead of the current FirstLoveMovies.View topic - <title of the post> ? Most browser tabs will cut off everything after FistLoveMovies.View topic - xxxxx...
mimzy

emuler wrote:mimzy: how much work would it be to put just <the title of the post> in the browser title bar instead of the current FirstLoveMovies.
A trivial solution would take less than a minute, but it would have a side effect.

The title is defined in two places. The forum style (template) defines the title as "{SITENAME} • {PAGE_TITLE}", whereas {PAGE_TITLE} is set in viewtopic.php to "View topic - topic_title". So to get the desired result, we would have to set the title in the template to just {PAGE_TITLE}, and {PAGE_TITLE} in turn to topic_title.

The side effect would be that FirstLoveMovies would disappear from the title of all pages. For example "FirstLoveMovies • View active topics" would become just "View active topics" and so on. Might be OK if the icon is displayed on the tab to tell that it's FLM and not another forum :think
emuler

No, don't break the forum for this. I was thinking more of the script that creates the line for the title. e.g.: for https://www.first-loves.com/forums/v ... =25&t=7945 the source for the page, right near the top, says:
<title>FirstLoveMovies &bull; View topic - [REL] The Christmas Bunny (2010)</title>

and was wondering if it would be possible to change this to:
<title>[REL] The Christmas Bunny (2010)</title>

What if you just change FirstLoveMovies to FLM and "View topic - topic_title" to "topic_title"? What else might this effect? You can put First Love Movies somewhere else, eg. under the logo.

This is just a discussion. Please feel free to ignore all my suggestions. It is just that I find myself scrolling to the top of the page to see which film I'm talking about, but my (deficient) short term memory is not your problem!
mimzy

What the heck, I just changed it. If it's not OK, I'll change it back.
emuler

Thanks, mimzy. :D I like it and for me the FLM logo in the tab is enough. Let's see if there are any negative comments from the other guys.

Now we don't have First Love Movies in text form anywhere on the page. Will this interfere with global search engines?