Forums

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
ptguardian

Re: Forums

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

The not so short discussion on shorts..... :roll: :)

Just do what you feel you need to do and we will drop them there, where ever there is.... :D
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

I want to do what the members and other admins want, not make an arbitrary decision. That's why we're discussing this.
ptguardian

There are shorts with their own release in movies(they are short movies), there are shorts in online streaming. As long as the title comes up in a search it is easy enough to find. We can have them in both places and already do. Is it causing problems? I don't see that it is...

I agree with mimzy it is too much trouble to decide what length is considered a short and I think it should be treated the same as any other movie that way no new thread to create just sort as you normally would. Perhaps only moving to individual country threads from online streaming when not just an ed2k link is provided but also full information such as imdb, country confirmation and such same as a movie [REL].

my 2cents :)
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

search method is fine....if you know what to search for,if i can't remember the name of a short,i browse the short section,even though i know the one i'm looking for might very well be hidden away in a movie section.i'd like all shorts to be in one place.i think country of origin is completely irrelevant,some are only 3 or 4 mins long,and many have no dialogue.Movies section should contain full movies only.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Any solution has pros and cons... One of the problems with separate shorts section would be the huge amount of work to check thousands of releases to find out if they are shorter or longer than 25 minutes... I think shorts would not be that hard to find among full-length movies if the conventional "[short XX mins]" header is used. Short shorts (3-4 mins) are from youtube/vimeo/etc. anyway, so maybe we should leave those at "Online Streaming Movies"? Often the best solution is to just keep status quo :mrgreen:
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

I'm looking at it from the aspect of what makes FLM better, even if that means leaving it the way it is. Newcomers don't know any different and old-timers look at everything new as it's posted, wherever it's posted. It's not like changing things is vital, and the search function mimzy wrote is 100 times better than the old FLM, so finding stuff isn't the problem it used to be. I like the idea of a [short] tag (no time included so there's no dispute about what's a "short" :)) for those films that do get moved to their country's Release forums. Thread titles are 50-chars max so we'll need to be 'creative' sometimes.

How's about we just 'play it by ear' and if problems arise we can deal with them then? If an admin moves or changes something and someone disagrees, we're certainly open to discussion, either by PM or openly in the forums.
For An Angel

Post by For An Angel »   0 likes

With all due respect, I think mimzy's objections are a little bit of an overreaction. Determining whether a release should go in a shorts forum or in a country's forum won't be anymore difficult than determining whether to label the release with a "[Short film]" in its title. Besides, I don't think it will be any more difficult to agree on what constitutes a short than it is to figure out which country a release belongs in if there's multiple production companies and we seem to handle that problem just fine. IMDB labels short films as a genre so we can just use that as a determining factor. And I agree with starfish, I think the country a short film comes from is much less important than it is for a full length movie.

The problem I see with the Online Streaming Movies forum is the same reason it exists in the first place. Eventually they will all dry up and they can only be saved with an emule link. Then it wouldn't be correct to classify it as an "online streaming movie" anymore. What about just renaming that forum to the "short films" forum? The vast majority of the releases there are already short films and can no longer be streamed anyway. You wouldn't have to label them anymore with a "[Short film]" because you'll be able to tell by the forum its in. By labeling them "[Short film]" and putting them in a country's forum you seem to be wanting to separate them from the full length movies already by saying basically that this one is not like the others. Before we had the Online Streaming Movie forum I don't think anybody felt the need to label a release "[Online film]". I think a shorts forum just makes more sense.
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

Whatever the final decision is, I'll be glad to help any way I can.

I have my shorts divided up into 3 major categories:
*English Speaking Shorts
*Non-Speaking Shorts
*Foreign Shorts [Divided further into:]
~Subtitled Shorts
~Non-Subtitled Shorts

If we were to create a forum for shorts, I think titling it just as such; 'Shorts', should suffice. Within the forum a poster would handle it like 'Unlisted' where we list the 'country-of-origin' in [brackets]..

kev.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Since mimzy will be doing most of the work involved in making whatever change is eventually decided upon, his opinion is especially important. He has to consider what he can write a script for, and what must be done by hand one item at a time. IMHO it is the sheer number of shorts cluttering up the already well-populated release forum that is daunting to the casual browser.

This would have been a far more important discussion for the old forum, but mimzy has done such an excellent work with the search engine that this subject seems rather trivial. I can find anything I'm looking for in several different ways, and the search engine hasn't let me down even once since I returned. :icon_idea2

We also need to keep the future in mind. As internet speeds and connectivity improve, more and more full length feature films will show up as online streaming movies. How will we cope with those?

Perhaps we should stick with the old REQ/REL system, where something stays in the REQ forum until a valid ed2k link is posted. Or have a temporary non-ed2k section that will include sources like online streaming, torrent, direct downloads, usenet, whatever, pending posting of a valid ed2k link and subsequent move to the REL forum.

REQ - no links, only info
nonED2k - any source except ed2k
REL - ed2k link
ptguardian

2more cents from me...

How about adding to the category title that is already here 'online streaming and shorts'. That way no need to start a new category and from now if we can remember to, include in the title of the post we are starting 'short'. I did this with the one I posted earlier. Keeping it simple. :D