Forums

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Forums

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

Online Streaming Movies was set up as a place where films with a streaming source - an ed2k link is optional - could be put. Since streaming sources are often transient, someone usually tries to capture them and post them on the mule so they don't disappear forever.

It may be time to create a "Shorts" forum and move the films with ed2k links into either their respective country's forums or into the new Shorts forum, depending on their runtime. I'm thinking maybe 25 minutes or less to be called a "short" - something shorter than a standard 1/2-hour television time slot. Anything without an ed2k link would stay in Online. It'd take some work to find and move stuff from other forums (such as General where a lot of shorts got posted) but it'd also make it easier to see which streaming films need to be captured.

In the meantime, I'm moving this to [REQ]uests since there's no longer a working link, and at 79 minutes this would be a feature-length film.
starfish21

Re: [REQ] Herzblatt oder Wie sag' ich's meiner Tochter? (69)

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

i seem to remember discussing this kind of thing before,Phuzzy,and the reason we left it alone is because of the amount of work it would require(for you).maybe sometime in the future,when the admin team is large enough to allow it.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

starfish21 wrote:i seem to remember discussing this kind of thing before,Phuzzy,and the reason we left it alone is because of the amount of work it would require(for you).maybe sometime in the future,when the admin team is large enough to allow it.
That was also when I was hitting the Unverified forum real hard and cleaning up a lot of [REQ]uests too. I've been slacking on the [REQ]'s for awhile but if everyone agrees this is needed, I can work on it. It won't happen overnight but it's do-able, and the other admins can help if they want.

What say ye, mimzy and kev? Do you agree this is needed or not?
starfish21

it would be very helpful,most of the shorts are originally streamed,but theres no way to tell by the time we get them,a short,on the other hand is always a short and easy identifiable.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

I don't like the idea of an additional "Shorts" forum much.

Firstly, it is hard to agree what is short and what is not. 25 minutes seems rather arbitrary. Besides, we might not know the exact runtime of a REQ. There might be different cuts, etc.

Secondly, it is nice to have movies sorted by country and I doubt that we want to duplicate the whole subforum structure for shorts.

Thirdly, we already have "Online Streaming Movies" that serves as a kind of shorts forum.

I was an advocate of "Shorts" forum in the past, but the kind of forum I was thinking of, was "Online Streaming Movies" (this name was chosen partly because admins didn't like "Shorts" forum :mrgreen:). The forum was supposed to be symmetric to "Music Videos" and the main purpose of it was to encourage members to post their online finds even if they cannot use ed2k for some reason.

I really think that having "Online Streaming Movies" and "Shorts" would make things too complicated...
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Forums

It was time to split this thread into its own topic...
mimzy wrote:I don't like the idea of an additional "Shorts" forum much.
I don't really want to create yet another forum either. What I'd rather do is move any threads with an ed2k link to that country's Release forum no matter what its length, except for Documentaries and Music Videos. The only threads I wouldn't move are the ones with multiple shorts from different countries - that would be too confusing. Nobody cares how long a film is as long as you can find it easily, and there are lots of short films mixed in with full-length ones in the Release forums already. It doesn't matter if there's also a streaming link - the ed2k link is the definition of a release.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I agree with what mimzy said. All I want is that each short have the word 'short' in the title.

However, as starfish21 points out, online streaming movies often end up as ed2k links thanks to the efforts of the members here. The question is, what should be done with them after they are converted to ed2k? Do they stay in online streaming movies, or should they be moved to the regular release section?

EDIT: Phuzzy4242 just answered me. :D
starfish21

i think what Phuzzy is attempting here is to basically tidy up,he's right,it's a real mess.i'm as guilty as anyone of dropping shorts(don't even think about it!) here there and everywhere.i started a thread called 'vimeo shorts' and that was fine,but loads of the videos from Vimeo are available on other streaming sites as well.i'm for anything that brings order out of chaos.
plonkah

Post by plonkah »   0 likes

I don't think the answer is to have a whole load of REQ [Shorts], REL[Shorts] for each country - wayyyy too confusing. Maybe two new Forums, Shorts [REQ] without E2dK lnks, and Shorts [REL] with E2dK links ? Or even a third option, maybe Shorts [Unconfirmed] for those with a link, but not an E2dK link ? Of course, these would have to be checked periodically for the validity of the "third party" link, but the VAST majority are (thanks to certain gentlemen here) converted to E2dK links pretty quickly. Since most if not all of these gentlemen are admins here, they can simply move it to the REL forum once E2dK link added ?
Just an idea.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

I don't want to create any new forums at all - we have more than enough as it is (63 of them). I want to put anything with an ed2k link into its country's Release forum. It doesn't matter whether it's full-length or a short and it doesn't matter if it's also being streamed online or not - once it has an ed2k link it's by definition a release and should be moved to the proper forum. The Online Streaming Movies forum can be kept for the streamed stuff that doesn't have an ed2k link (yet). I also wouldn't move the threads like 'vimeo shorts' that have multiple films from many countries in the same thread - that would be very confusing. I do think putting [Short] in the thread title is a good idea.

I've been trying to tidy up some of the mess we've had for longer than I've been around. Unverified used to have more than 100 threads (now there are 5), and we've found lots and lots of the Requests that had cobwebs on them from being forgotten for so long. I've also been trying to 'standardize' the thread titles ([REQ] Movie Name (year) [Country]). I'm not obsessive/compulsive, no not me. :lol:

And starfish, I'd never even think about how you drop your shorts 'willy-nilly'. heh!