Filesharing safety

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
mimzy

Filesharing safety

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

I heard that some German users who downloaded "Kokowääh.AC3.DVDRiP.XViD.avi" got a letter from lawyers representing Warner Bros, asking to pay 956 €. In this case it would be strongly recommended to *not* pay and *not* sign anything or you might get into an even bigger trouble. Rather a good lawyer should be contacted (use Google).

Generally sharing recent movies is not a good idea. At least not in Germany.

Maybe we should introduce a quarantine period for mainstream movies; leave them under "Forthcoming Releases" for a while and not post links immediately? Those who are interested can search for torrents etc. at their own risk.
ptguardian

Re: Filesharing safety

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

Possibly, it is something we need to consider. However as Phuzzy noted earlier we do not host any files.
Everything is up to the individual if they download or not. Posting FAQ

:?: :think
mimzy

ptguardian wrote:Possibly, it is something we need to consider. However as Phuzzy noted earlier we do not host any files.
Everything is up to the individual if they download or not.
This way we are assuming that everybody can estimate the risks correctly, based on their country of residence, etc. Maybe it's OK :roll:

It would be a shame to lose FLM members who downloaded a wrong file and did not respond correctly to the blackmail of the movie industry.
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:I heard that some German users who downloaded "Kokowääh.AC3.DVDRiP.XViD.avi" got a letter from lawyers representing Warner Bros, asking to pay 956 €. ...
Yikes!! :eyecrazy

At my parents house I tried d/loading 'A Perfect Getaway' early last year. My dad got a letter from his ISP stating that they had been contacted by the studio that released the movie and if he continued to d/load copyrighted movies that 'legal action' would be brought against him. :( I uninstalled eMule from his PC and won't risk his safety anymore.. (I figure his ISP has his IP# under their scrutiny, now..)

It's not just Germany; America's p2p pipelines are getting dangerous too. :wall

A quarantine or some kind of waiting period on current or recently released films is a great idea.

kev.
mimzy

kev wrote:
mimzy wrote:I heard that some German users who downloaded "Kokowääh.AC3.DVDRiP.XViD.avi" got a letter from lawyers representing Warner Bros, asking to pay 956 €. ...
Yikes!! :eyecrazy
Yep, and if the user actually pays and signs the agreement, then they have legal right to charge 5000 € for any copyright infringement in the next 30 years, which means that the user would probably never use p2p again.

Using a good lawyer, the problem can be solved by 100 € or so.
ptguardian

I agree on the lawyer suggestion if that is whats happening in Germany.

As for the quarantine or waiting period. I am OK with it if you can come up with a practical way of implementing it. I for one cannot think of a way. Determining what movies qualify for waiting periods and quarantine seems discouraging and troublesome. Who is going to end up doing this task? I think it is important to always be mindful but unless it is implemented in a working manner I see it as being more trouble than its worth.

If people are worried about what they are downloading they should use a VPN, proxies and so on or don't download movie files. Go buy it. We don't host movies here and are not forcing anyone to download anything.

Like I said; I am OK with it if you can come up with a practical way of implementing it. Ideas?
mimzy

I agree that it's difficult to implement. On the other hand, the majority of our users are probably not from Germany, and sharing foreign movies is safe. Also not all German ISPs disclose customer IP data, since EU Data Retention Directive is currently not implemented in Germany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommun ... on#Germany).

Let's hope that everybody is now aware of the problem, so we can leave it as it is.
ptguardian

mimzy wrote:I agree that it's difficult to implement. On the other hand, the majority of our users are probably not from Germany, and sharing foreign movies is safe. Also not all German ISPs disclose customer IP data, since EU Data Retention Directive is currently not implemented in Germany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommun ... on#Germany).

Let's hope that everybody is now aware of the problem, so we can leave it as it is.
I agree, it is very important to always be mindful. Thanks for reminding everyone to be safe. :cool
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:...On the other hand, the majority of our users are probably not from Germany, and sharing foreign movies is safe. ...
I guess it was missed in my earlier post in this thread, but I live in the good ol' US of A, and a message was sent by my parents Internet Service Provider indicating that not only they but the studio of the film that I was trying to download were aware that I was downloading that particular movie. The STUDIO was friggin' aware.... Un-freakin-believable. :eyecrazy

They threatened action would be brought against my parents if they continued to d/load copyrighted material...

It's NOT just members and others from Germany that have to keep their asses in check....

The internet nazi's/police are cracking down all over... I'm not trying to start a panic, but things ARE getting a bit more serious as far as curtailing freedom on the 'net... It's not something to pass off lightly... :wall

kev.
mimzy

kev wrote:
mimzy wrote:...On the other hand, the majority of our users are probably not from Germany, and sharing foreign movies is safe. ...
I guess it was missed in my earlier post in this thread, but I live in the good ol' US of A, and a message was sent by my parents Internet Service Provider indicating that not only they but the studio of the film that I was trying to download were aware that I was downloading that particular movie. The STUDIO was friggin' aware.... Un-freakin-believable. :eyecrazy
Studios contract companies like ipoque that run (modified) eMule and torrent clients looking for files with specific hash values. They can only see the IP address.

Nice whitepaper for technically inclined people: http://www.ipoque.com/sites/default/fil ... ternet.pdf

Court order is needed to get personal data from an ISP. Unfortunately in some states of Germany a court order can be obtained too easily (it is enough if sharing of a single copyrighted movie is documented). Hundreds of such court orders are given every day (nice business model of some lawyers). Most ISPs do disclose customer data, even thought they are currently not obligated to log the mapping of dynamic IP addresses.
kev wrote:They threatened action would be brought against my parents if they continued to d/load copyrighted material...
ISPs are of course not interested in filesharing, because it takes too much bandwidth. I don't know what legal possibilities there might be in the USA.