Server crash

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
mimzy

Server crash

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Server crashed yesterday 3:00 UTC and did not restart due to disk I/O errors. I don't know what exactly happened or what the tech support finally did, but we are up and running since 21:38 UTC again :D
ptguardian

Re: Server crash

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

Your little bird told me what was happening. tweet tweet ;)

I knew it would be resolved one way or another. You have been taking the precautions that are needed. :cool

Thanks
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

strange thing though,i couldn't access the site in the morning or evening when i was at my pc,but i managed it no problem during the day at work using my mobile.
mimzy

Total disk failure... Everything has been re-installed.

I'm still tweaking, so short outages (few minutes) may happen in the next days (remember to copy text to clipboard before posting).
ptguardian

mimzy wrote:Everything has been re-installed.
Thank you :thumbsup
mimzy wrote:(remember to copy text to clipboard before posting).
Copy text to clipboard?
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

ptguardian wrote:Copy text to clipboard?
Before you click the Preview or Submit button, it's a good idea to copy what you've written by highlighting it and either using your browser's edit menu or press Ctrl-C to copy the highlighted text to your PC's clipboard. If the server has to be rebooted or there's some glitch between the time you started your message and the time you click one of the buttons, you'll have to rewrite the entire post again. If you copied it to the clipboard, all you have to do is use the edit menu or press Ctrl-V to paste what you copied so you don't have to start over from scratch.

I do this all the time. You know I'm long-winded and have a short attention span so I can't remember what I just typed. :lol:
ptguardian

Good idea, thanks.
vidman49

Post by vidman49 »   0 likes

Thanks for all the work that you do to host this site and keep it running. It is the number one place I like to go on the internet. I really appreciate your hard work.
:icon_idea2 :icon_idea2 :icon_idea2
mimzy

Thanks for your contributions too :D

I heard that disseminating information via my Twitter account did not work as well as expected. I'm sorry about that.

The crashes were not my fault; it is the responsibility of the hosting company to provide hardware that is redundant enough (RAID, etc.). Of course, shit can happen anyway, and if a redundant system crashes, it usually crashes much harder, because the operators are not prepared enough.

The good news is that thanks to the crash I've got a nice and clean installation now, so there is hopefully no need for maintenance shutdown in the next future and FLM will remain open during Christmas (unless it crashes again :mrgreen:).
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

good work, as always,Mimzy