For Admins of site - Possible memory leak through Macromedia

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
billanben

For Admins of site - Possible memory leak through Macromedia

Post by billanben »   0 likes

Hi all

I would like someone else to test this but this has started happening only since theMacromedia graphics at the top have been added to site.

Mozilla FF 1.5 with ALL extensions removed.

If you leave the browser open on this page for some time, you will see memory usage increase quite rapidly, mine went from an inital value of around 36K, to a whopping 250K in about 4 hours. Also CPU up around 45-50% for this process continuously. Do not have JS nor J enabled, and popups blocked.

Tested this on other sites as was getting concerned and does not happen there. Last night, left open all night and finally got a clue to the problem. Error when I tried to access FF from Macromedia saying "a script you are trying to run may cause your computer to crash if you continue to run it, do you want to end yes/no ?" the option to end taken but by this time the computer has hung, and memory usage for FF is enormous.

Like I say, I cannot be sure, but this seems to coincide with the Macromedia graphics being implemented at top of page, and since I have tried to rule out everything else, it points to this as cause.

Can someone else confirm with same version of FF, and maybe admin check this as well.

Thanks all
billanben

Re: For Admins of site - Possible memory leak through Macrom

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webfo ... ory%20leak

http://www.gskinner.com/blog/archives/2 ... h_pla.html

Hope this gives the admins some idea of what could be the problem. The thing is, if you could just disable the flash for this site it would be OK, but apart from uninstalling the whole app, I don't know any way of doing this.

I may test this, by uninstalling ayway, and see if the memory leak/CPU hog still occurs.
billanben

These are the last I will post then leave you to look at this please :-

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webfo ... yword1=cpu
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

hmmm strange :think:

is it causing your computer problems? you are talking about the banner at the top right? :huh:
OrionPax

Post by OrionPax »   0 likes

I Adblocked the flash animation at the top, it was too distracting :|
yeah, just Adblock if it is a problem for you, that’s one solution :)
billanben

OrionPax wrote:I Adblocked the flash animation at the top, it was too distracting :|
Hmm I would but there is also a known issue with the ADBLOCK extension with Flashgot, also cannot use BLOCKFLASH as this (at moment) requires JScript enabled !!

Rich - if I leave open all night will have crashed PC by morning (CPU around 50% on FF, and memory around 200-250K on FF). I will try Adblock again but (Orionpax) have you Flashgot + ADBLOCK ? You not having problems ? The animation is the First Love Movies at the top with the circles.
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

billanben wrote:
OrionPax wrote:I Adblocked the flash animation at the top, it was too distracting :|
Hmm I would but there is also a known issue with the ADBLOCK extension with Flashgot, also cannot use BLOCKFLASH as this (at moment) requires JScript enabled !!

Rich - if I leave open all night will have crashed PC by morning (CPU around 50% on FF, and memory around 200-250K on FF). I will try Adblock again but (Orionpax) have you Flashgot + ADBLOCK ? You not having problems ? The animation is the First Love Movies at the top with the circles.
hasn't made any difference to my system, then again i don't stay logged in very long, dont know why it seizes yours up :think:
billanben

Rich wrote:
billanben wrote:

hasn't made any difference to my system, then again i don't stay logged in very long, dont know why it seizes yours up :think:
That's better - installed adblock (again) blocked it, and now when just sitting with page open, CPU at 0% for FF (as should be). Just have to watch the memory leak issue now - any chance of reviewing the existence of this banner (sorry to be a pain !).
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I also had the same problem some days ago and i don't know what's wrong with the flash file..

I am on it.
OrionPax

Post by OrionPax »   0 likes

billanben wrote:

I actually do have Adblock + Flashgot installed and have never had any problems, but why do keep FF open? wouldn’t it be easier just to close it?