uloz.to

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
mimzy

Re: uloz.to

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

popdrome wrote:
mimzy wrote:Oh, BTW what is the status of LMA? We have those LMA links in our database, but the site seems to not have been updated for years.
I know right! I am not the admin of the site, I only provided the content (most of it) - but I cannot enter it anymore and I lost contact with my friend TheLost, he doesn't reply to e-mails either.
That's a pity. Once we were thinking about even closer cooperation between LMA and FLM. Actually every FLM user could have LMA account and post infos there. We have LMA links in the database and there is also the browser extension that adds FLM links to LMA.

When I last heard from TheLost in Usenet, he was unfortunately planning to change the name of the website (to disassociate it from the newsgroup) and start cooperating with Netflix, Blockbuster, Amazon and Hulu to make some money, which was needed to cover server costs. Note that FLM hosting costs ca. $10/month and I can easily pay this from my own pocket.

If your NSP has good retention, you can still find the messages in the newsgroup.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

ptguardian wrote:I am always here checking in but real life keeps me too busy to stay active. Asking for reshares via the mule is always possible (if patient). ;)
I understand real life and we're glad to see you any time you drop in. 8-)

If anyone has a suggestion for how to keep a rip from being spread, I'm all ears.[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

:roll: I`ve been on the road last weekend, so I wasn`t able to visit the forum during the last two days.

Many things have been said in this thread, so I won`t write a long novel ;)

I just want to add my opinion about these uloz links:

First: Emule is and ever was the best source for rare movies. If it really should be a fact that a movie can`t be found in the ed2k net or there are only 1 or 2 sources, I am thankful for a ddl (like uloz) to just get the movie. But after this it should be shared in emule to spread it to the world and make it available for (in the best case) forever. If an uloz link is added to every REL thread here in this forum, ed2k sources will become less and less. End of the story: FLM is an emule based forum and maybe the biggest database for childhood movies that exists and it should stay this way.

I know ppl just want fast downloads like torrents and usenet or ddls, but I am old fashioned concerning to FLM.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

ghost wrote: I know ppl just want fast downloads like torrents and usenet or ddls, but I am old fashioned concerning to FLM.
I knew we'd come to some mutual understanding! agree 100% my friend
Phuzzy4242 wrote:If anyone has a suggestion for how to keep a rip from being spread, I'm all ears.
LOL those are some impressive ears... uhm.. same here actually :baaa
mimzy wrote:Once we were thinking about even closer cooperation between LMA and FLM. Actually every FLM user could have LMA account and post infos there. We have LMA links in the database and there is also the browser extension that adds FLM links to LMA.

When I last heard from TheLost in Usenet, he was unfortunately planning to change the name of the website (to disassociate it from the newsgroup) and start cooperating with Netflix, Blockbuster, Amazon and Hulu to make some money,
I know you were talking about that. BTW I love the browser extension I'm still in awe of that. :eyecrazy Yes, theLost is always ambitious about changing and improving the site - the many talks we had about this, every time I spoke to him, he had new ambitious ideas, really.

The big thing I hated was that I'd made 'similar to' links in each movie record (connecting each movie to 4 others with the same theme, being an international forum that's what attracted me as most interesting) and in the web 2.0 version he had removed those links. It has cost me many many hours of my life I assure you including timing the screen time of every individual child star in every movie. I still love the concept and if TheLost won't return I'm thinking of creating my own site.

Thanks mimzy.
ptguardian wrote:Personally I do not want any of my rips posted elsewhere and only on the mule. (...)
I am always here checking in but real life keeps me too busy to stay active. Asking for reshares via the mule is always possible (if patient). ;)
Good to see you! :icon_gy

Don't go quietly into the night.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

Hi to all,it's great to see some of the longtimers still active here,i havent been in for quite a while.I personally would love to see other sharing options available,but only for newer material,like hd rips,i've had real difficulty with emule in the past but it's great for old stuff so i'll persevere.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

starfish21 wrote:Hi to all,it's great to see some of the longtimers still active here,i havent been in for quite a while.I personally would love to see other sharing options available,but only for newer material,like hd rips,i've had real difficulty with emule in the past but it's great for old stuff so i'll persevere.
I also get my 20 GB BluRay Rips from other places, but I share them here. Of course after reducing file size :mrgreen:
Last edited by ghost on Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

Heya starfish good to see you! :)

Don't go quietly into the night.
mimzy

ghost wrote:First: Emule is and ever was the best source for rare movies. If it really should be a fact that a movie can`t be found in the ed2k net or there are only 1 or 2 sources, I am thankful for a ddl (like uloz) to just get the movie. But after this it should be shared in emule to spread it to the world and make it available for (in the best case) forever. If an uloz link is added to every REL thread here in this forum, ed2k sources will become less and less. End of the story: FLM is an emule based forum and maybe the biggest database for childhood movies that exists and it should stay this way.
You've got a point, but the reality is that sources dry off quickly whether or not the file is posted at uloz. For each file, there must be at least one user who is sharing the file or at least able and willing to reshare the file per request within reasonable time. Rips that originate from FLM usually do not spread well, so we cannot rely much on external users.

OK. We have ca. 16000 ed2k links, so let's find 16 volunteers, each willing to share 1000 files. The first volunteer would be responsible for sharing files whose hash starts with "0", the second volunteer takes "1", and so on until "F"? If we could find 32 or 64 volunteers, then each would of course share less or we could have some redundancy... And if we share just the best rip of each release in the FLM database, it's only about 6000 files (excluding subtitles).

In the past it was mostly FLL who archived and shared old releases. Without him we would be missing most of the files released before 2009. (Probably those releases are of too low quality according to today's standards and need an upgrade anyway, but there might be also rare stuff that is impossible to find elsewhere.)

Nowadays we try to archive all files and share those that are in the list of requested files ("✓" means that someone has confirmed sharing the file). I don't know how many members care to share the requested files, though.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:Nowadays we try to archive all files and share those that are in the list of requested files ("✓" means that someone has confirmed sharing the file). I don't know how many members care to share the requested files, though.
If I have a file, I reshare it. It's fairly easy for me because I have lots on the hard drive, even if not all of it is shared. Perhaps I should check the Requested Files section more often but I don't pay much attention to it because you don't know who's requesting something, and frankly, I don't feel a big obligation to reshare for people who never post or contribute anything to FLM.

I don't know how we'd find or recruit the volunteers you mention - there aren't that many regular contributors. I also don't know how you'd keep things current. People come and go or only visit occasionally, hard drives die, Real Life interferes... eMule use itself has really dropped off in the last few years. Even two years ago it wasn't unusual for eMule Security No1 to have 125,000 users online and now averages 65,000-75,000.

Sadly, many of the regulars are no longer with us so it falls on fewer of us to carry the load and to retain what's been released here. I don't see any way to fix that.
mimzy

Phuzzy4242 wrote:
mimzy wrote:Nowadays we try to archive all files and share those that are in the list of requested files ("✓" means that someone has confirmed sharing the file). I don't know how many members care to share the requested files, though.
If I have a file, I reshare it. It's fairly easy for me because I have lots on the hard drive, even if not all of it is shared. Perhaps I should check the Requested Files section more often but I don't pay much attention to it because you don't know who's requesting something, and frankly, I don't feel a big obligation to reshare for people who never post or contribute anything to FLM.
It's up to you, but some members I know check that list regularly even thought they don't post on the forum, maybe don't even read all posts. Sharing is contribution too, and some may want to do it "anonymously". And it helps to reduce the "reshare requests" on the forum, which is a useless noise from information point of view.
Phuzzy4242 wrote:I don't know how we'd find or recruit the volunteers you mention - there aren't that many regular contributors. I also don't know how you'd keep things current. People come and go or only visit occasionally, hard drives die, Real Life interferes... eMule use itself has really dropped off in the last few years. Even two years ago it wasn't unusual for eMule Security No1 to have 125,000 users online and now averages 65,000-75,000.
I don't really expect to find the volunteers. This was more of an example to give you an idea of the size of FLM archive. We have less active members than would be needed to share the archive via eMule.
Phuzzy4242 wrote:Sadly, many of the regulars are no longer with us so it falls on fewer of us to carry the load and to retain what's been released here. I don't see any way to fix that.
uloz.to? :eusa_whistle