uloz.to

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
User avatar
popdrome
Posts: 1809
Likes:
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:00 am

uloz.to

Postby popdrome » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:16 pm  0 likes

please connect to the issue I pointed out in this thread. thanks in advance.
http://www.first-loves.com.ua/forums/vi ... 0&start=40
- WANT SOMETHING RESHARED? JUST ASK! -
User avatar
mimzy
Posts: 998
Likes:
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:00 am

Re: uloz.to

Postby mimzy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:54 pm  0 likes

popdrome wrote:Note to all, what are your opinions on this? BTW I really appreciate ferdi's contributions on this site, and thanks to him I found some rare gems! But shouldn't the purpose of this site be, exchange via emule, instead of dll? If not, I have some torrents to share with you and hey while we're at it why not point all of our capture cards to disney.com

My opinion is this:

1. The newer generation can hardly use anything else than Facebook. eMule is a rocket science for them. Plus, there are some privacy issues. I know many Germans avoid p2p due to problems with Waldorf Frommer, as discussed in this thread. If we strictly limit ourselves to eMule, many potential members simply go elsewhere.

2. Several members are known to take long absences. Who is supposed to share their releases in the mean time? Or should we just wait until they return?

3. I still prefer eMule and people who post eMule usually get more likes (to see the links), but if you want to share torrents, it would be OK with most members, I suppose (someone would still have to download the torrent and post the ed2k link before it can be a REL). I don't think Disney has many OT movies anyway...

4. Maybe we need more specific rules about posting non-ed2k links :think
User avatar
popdrome
Posts: 1809
Likes:
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:00 am

Re: uloz.to

Postby popdrome » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:36 am  0 likes

What's up Mimz thanks for the swift and thorough reply. let me add the 0.02$ before anyone else does ;)
at 1) you pose 2 problems actually,
1a - they don't understand eMule; I disagree with you and I think they do. I see new ppl's arrive on usenet (the oldest alternative to WWW I would argue) every day. Just a matter of software clients.
1b. potential users are under legal jeopardy. I know what's going on in Germany, I'd be more worried if we'd be torrenting Game of Thrones actually instead of sharing a 1990's TV film that no one cared to record. IOW, the subject matter we love kind of holds us in safety (unless, here's my point, you put your files on DLL like uloz.to) - which risk do you wish to account for?

2. Agreed. I have no information about said members, do you? Does their absence mean they, as in part of filesharing over internet, they do not trust the emule anymore? Maybe they have found other ways of sharing their passions? How visible is this site? have they managed to follow this site and its content? IOW too many questions unanswered without a connection with uloz.to

3. I agree (mostly) if we're talking of hard to find moov's. I think we're all agreed on Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events in terms of posting it's file. torrent, e2k hash, german or french version etc and it's matter of urgency

4. Please, let's make some! I know many of us have all been rather vigilant times come and go. Do we serve the uloz.to website after posting a file, or does it serve us? I, for one, share among friends, how about you? I love tor, torrents, freenet, edonkey, usenet, p2p, etc if it gets me an article that I wouldn't be able to find in the first place - but that's just me. Do you want the DLL site to carry your releases while you thought emuling to friends? :)
- WANT SOMETHING RESHARED? JUST ASK! -
User avatar
mimzy
Posts: 998
Likes:
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:00 am

Re: uloz.to

Postby mimzy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:00 pm  1 likes

popdrome wrote:1a - they don't understand eMule; I disagree with you and I think they do. I see new ppl's arrive on usenet (the oldest alternative to WWW I would argue) every day. Just a matter of software clients.

There does not seem to be much activity in thelostmovies, though.

What's the percentage of Internet users willing/able to use Usenet these days? Probably less than 0.001%. 20 years ago almost everybody who knew Internet was in Usenet. Our university had their own Usenet groups and I participated in Unix flamewars :mrgreen:

Are there any Usenet clients for IPhone or Android?

popdrome wrote:1b. potential users are under legal jeopardy. I know what's going on in Germany, I'd be more worried if we'd be torrenting Game of Thrones actually instead of sharing a 1990's TV film that no one cared to record. IOW, the subject matter we love kind of holds us in safety (unless, here's my point, you put your files on DLL like uloz.to) - which risk do you wish to account for?

Yes, sharing old stuff or TV movies is safe, but if you mention eMule in German pirate forums, they think you're insane. On the other hand, DDL in Germany is not safe either. The main risk with uloz.to is that they can remove the files any time or make free downloads impossible or get shut down by the authorities, so we must keep our own FLM archive anyway. That's why we require ed2k links to identify the files.

popdrome wrote:2. Agreed. I have no information about said members, do you? Does their absence mean they, as in part of filesharing over internet, they do not trust the emule anymore? Maybe they have found other ways of sharing their passions? How visible is this site? have they managed to follow this site and its content? IOW too many questions unanswered without a connection with uloz.to

AFAIK the site is well represented in search engines and 120 members of the old FLM, including most of the major posters, have found their way back. You can see this in the member list. So finding us is generally not a problem.

Members have moved on, got married, etc. You should know yourself why you were absent for several years...

popdrome wrote:4. Please, let's make some!

Hmm, how about: "Uploading popdrome's releases to DDL sites is not allowed"? Any other members who don't want their releases uploaded?

Oh, BTW what is the status of LMA? We have those LMA links in our database, but the site seems to not have been updated for years.
User avatar
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin
Posts: 7178
Likes:
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:00 am

Re: uloz.to

Postby Phuzzy4242 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:33 pm  0 likes

mimzy wrote:Hmm, how about: "Uploading popdrome's releases to DDL sites is not allowed"? Any other members who don't want their releases uploaded?

Good luck with that. I wouldn't upload it but someone would. You can only enforce it by not releasing anything. If it's posted in one place, it'll eventually be everywhere - just ask those girls who shared nude selfies with their (ex-)boyfriends. :lol: I appreciate when someone wants to share a release with friends first, but you have to know it will quickly spread far and wide.

eMule is still best for keeping things available long-term and that's why we still use it. I was on UseNet all the time until most ISP's removed the binary groups. I haven't been on it in years. Torrents are mostly faster than eMule but retention is usually as bad as UseNet. Anything else? LimeWire? LOL

I don't have a problem with people posting uloz.to and other torrents in addition to the regular eMule releases. If it's already a [REL]ease, people have a choice how they want to receive it. If not, usually someone downloads it from the torrent and then [REL]eases it so the eMule-only people get it too. It'd be a shame to restrict one or the other.
User avatar
mimzy
Posts: 998
Likes:
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:00 am

Re: uloz.to

Postby mimzy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:00 am  0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:
mimzy wrote:Hmm, how about: "Uploading popdrome's releases to DDL sites is not allowed"? Any other members who don't want their releases uploaded?

Good luck with that. I wouldn't upload it but someone would.

OK, we cannot effectively prevent uploading, but we can prevent posting DDL links to popdrome's rips. If popdrome doesn't want his releases to be DDL'd for whatever reason, we should respect his wish.

Again, when sharing non-mainstream stuff, there is nothing to be afraid of. http://www.eselkult.tk/ is still alive and well.
User avatar
popdrome
Posts: 1809
Likes:
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:00 am

Re: uloz.to

Postby popdrome » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:31 am  0 likes

Thank you guys for the feedback.

mimzy wrote:What's the percentage of Internet users willing/able to use Usenet these days? Probably less than 0.001%. 20 years ago almost everybody who knew Internet was in Usenet. Our university had their own Usenet groups and I participated in Unix flamewars :mrgreen:

Are there any Usenet clients for IPhone or Android?


haha, I have in fact an app for usenet on my iphone my newsreader isp provides it but you can only use it for searching. :)
Sure, to most people the internet = facebook or instagram etc. what I was referring to, very popular sites use the exchange of .nzb files refer to otherwise unidentifyable posts like 857836.mkv posted in alt.binaries.refridgerators or what have you. I even know of streaming video sites using usenet binaries.

mimzy wrote:DDL in Germany is not safe either. The main risk with uloz.to is that they can remove the files any time or make free downloads impossible or get shut down by the authorities, so we must keep our own FLM archive anyway. That's why we require ed2k links to identify the files.


I agree with you.

mimzy wrote:AFAIK the site is well represented in search engines and 120 members of the old FLM, including most of the major posters, have found their way back. You can see this in the member list. So finding us is generally not a problem.

Members have moved on, got married, etc. You should know yourself why you were absent for several years...


I did not know that. Me? Well I didn't get married :think
Thought it be interesting to know.

mimzy wrote:Hmm, how about: "Uploading popdrome's releases to DDL sites is not allowed"? Any other members who don't want their releases uploaded?


I have nothing against torrents or DDL, I was thinking of all the uloz links in the forum - I remember rapidgator links would be removed for the same reason, I agree though that if it's already been released on emule it's ok to add other links. that's just my thoughts. I don't make the rules here and I agree with Phuzzy that it's pointless to wanna keep control over your files being uploaded elsewhere. I also do not mind what people do with my 'releases', my RIPs however well it would be nice if people give credit, but yeah once it's out it's out.

mimzy wrote:Oh, BTW what is the status of LMA? We have those LMA links in our database, but the site seems to not have been updated for years.

I know right! I am not the admin of the site, I only provided the content (most of it) - but I cannot enter it anymore and I lost contact with my friend TheLost, he doesn't reply to e-mails either. I hope he's OK. Apparently he is still paying to keep it up but I would love to add more content to the site and update it.
- WANT SOMETHING RESHARED? JUST ASK! -
User avatar
popdrome
Posts: 1809
Likes:
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:00 am

Re: uloz.to

Postby popdrome » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:33 am  0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:eMule is still best for keeping things available long-term and that's why we still use it. I was on UseNet all the time until most ISP's removed the binary groups. I haven't been on it in years. Torrents are mostly faster than eMule but retention is usually as bad as UseNet. Anything else? LimeWire? LOL

I don't have a problem with people posting uloz.to and other torrents in addition to the regular eMule releases. If it's already a [REL]ease, people have a choice how they want to receive it. If not, usually someone downloads it from the torrent and then [REL]eases it so the eMule-only people get it too. It'd be a shame to restrict one or the other.


I can live with that policy :lol:
lol Limewire. and remember napster! :geek:
- WANT SOMETHING RESHARED? JUST ASK! -
User avatar
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin
Posts: 7178
Likes:
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:00 am

Re: uloz.to

Postby Phuzzy4242 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:02 am  0 likes

LMA was a good resource, sorry it's not being updated.

Most people who release something do give credit to the original ripper, or at least don't change the filename. We have at least one member who posts files using a different shortened filename because it's not safe for him to release the original filenames in his home country. I assume most people rename them to the correct title and year when they complete, so I don't know how effective that is.

I think the only way to keep your rips local is to post the ed2k links in PM's to specific people, and even then someone may post the file elsewhere. You know the saying... "Two people can keep a secret only if one of them is dead." ;)
User avatar
ptguardian
Posts: 4479
Likes:
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:00 am

Re: uloz.to

Postby ptguardian » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:04 am  1 likes

Personally I do not want any of my rips posted elsewhere and only on the mule. I only post them for my friends here at FLM. Often I post with an odd file name to prevent it from coming up in a simple search so that it is less likely to be found elsewhere and or only found here. It is inevitable some files will end up other places but it does reduce the probability. You may have noticed I make comments on occasion about seeing my files posted on torrent. If I joke about it I assure you it is sarcasm...

I am always here checking in but real life keeps me too busy to stay active. Asking for reshares via the mule is always possible (if patient). ;)

Return to “Site Help & Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests