board restyle

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.

Board Restyle

Poll ended at Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:26 pm

Yeah i agree with Art to get new life to this amazing board
78%
No! For me Art is crazy he don't see the potential inside this board
11%
No! I like this "sad" colours :-)
11%

Total votes: 9
ARTHORIUS

Re: board restyle

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

When i've open this thread wasn't thought that there are all these difficults...i wan an admin on other boards and to change background styles fonts etc was not difficult. I was thought that all boards are same configuration. I speak for colors in this specify.

So if there are all these problems, time to got changes, hardwork etc i am the first to say "Admin can close this thread".

Mine was only a consideration and a suggest to get new "life" only with a little bit colors not to upgrade radically the board.

If is possible ok are welcome if not AMEN!
ONE RING TO BRING EM ALL
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Those things aren't difficult, ART. Tell us what you want. If others agree and mimzy thinks it can be done without much hassle, I don't see any problem.

Changing the structure of the board - now that is tough. That is what we assumed you wanted.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

I have to check how this unread posts thing is implemented. I didn't write phpBB myself, you know. phpBB 3.0 is rather basic, doesn't use javascript at all (which is good from security point of view). I haven't played with phpBB 3.1 yet.

Maybe the board that Art has in mind uses another software, like vBulletin, or there is a MOD for phpBB 3.0. It is not possible to have custom colors in standard phpBB, but any number of "styles" can be installed.

The old FLM was based on PHP-Nuke, not phpBB.
ARTHORIUS

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

emuler wrote:
Changing the structure of the board - now that is tough. That is what we assumed you wanted.
Absolutely not...i've suggest to change the background to white/grey to wallpaper on net coloured...That's for say when i was admin of other boards i was always change the background with an image on net for example a sky, desert, natural landscapes, fantasy, gothic maybe i can start a new thread/poll and i put some images and people vote the most beautiful to use to a background...that's was my idea...
Hope now i am explain better :D
ONE RING TO BRING EM ALL
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   2 likes

I just checked out phpBB 3.1, so I wouldn't get too bored during the potential rainy days of my vacation. The new phpBB extension system is quite nice and allows to implement several FLM extensions without modifying the phpBB code. On the other hand, there are no radical changes in the phpBB core, so porting FLM extensions is easier than I thought.

If anybody knows a nice phpBB 3.1 style to use or wants to develop an own style for FLM, let me know. I will set up a beta board, so we can test things carefully before they go into "production".

Maybe Art will have some fresh ideas in September ;)
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   2 likes

I've ported all FLM extensions to pbpBB 3.1, except the search engine (standard phpBB search can be used). You can check out the beta version at:

https://www.first-loves.com/beta/?style=1 (standard prosilver style)
https://www.first-loves.com/beta/?style=2 (Elegance style by Arty)

This is just a development playground, so don't post anything there, except for testing purposes. Let me know about bugs...

Unfortunately there is currently a small packet loss at the back-end server that makes the site painfully slow at times. I need to do something about it :wall
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I like the Elegance style because the unread messages icons are bright. I notice "Recent Likes" is not on the options bar, though you can get to it with the "Quick Links" option. The animated logo isn't on the ProSilver style. That's all I noticed with a quick scan.
ptguardian

Post by ptguardian »   0 likes

Yes, at times so slow it is unaccessible.
mimzy

Should be better now. Sorry about the problems :(
mimzy

The development went faster than I expected and there are lots of small improvements, so I'm planning to switch to the new version already on August 1. (We will never find the bugs without actually using it anyway.)

This does not prevent us from doing further development if there is interest.

Let me know if there are objections.