[REL] The Secret Garden (1993)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] The Secret Garden (1993)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

(I edited David's post like below.)

Or we can use the "Insert URL" coding. The icon in the Reply editor looks like a chain link to me. It gives coding like this in editing mode:

Code: Select all

[url]https://www.example_link.html[/url]
Paste your link in the Reply editor, highlight it, and then click the chain icon and it puts the [ url ] coding around it.

Others then can click the link directly to the site. Of course, the site then "knows" where you clicked in from. Using the code box and then copy-pasting keeps it more anonymous for the sites you visit. I especially like the code box because it makes it easy to copy and paste multiple links into Jdownloader2. This sort of thing is very helpful at TNT!
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   2 likes

Here is an interview with Kate Maberly: https://youtu.be/LQUM1NBdJ6Q (couldn't get embed to work)

On the possibility anyone else here loves this movie and her performance as much as I do. Most interesting thing here to me is how shy and timid she is in the interview vs how expressive and emotive she was in the film.

Also, the YT channel itself could hold relevant interest to people here, "Classic Girl Child Stars of tv and Film" with description : "This is a channel for rare video clips of classic girl child stars from TV and film and are from my personal collection." Actually, come to think of it, maybe this is someone here?

[Image]
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

marvingray that link is a treasure trove! I wouldn't be surprised if the person that ran that channel was at least familiar with FLM! No new videos for 7 years, though. So many of those videos are a delight. Especially the ones with Michelle Trachtenburg (Harriet the Spy).

I'll be honest, I've never seen any of the Secret Garden movies, and you've convinced me to give this one a try. ;)
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   0 likes

Yes she's really cute in this BK ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do4QbGcRwkI

I hope you like it if you watch it. if you do like it, another book by the same writer (Frances Hodgson Burnett) was adapted into a film about a year later called "A Little Princess" directed by Alfonso Cuarón (Prisoner of Azkaban director.) It's more stylish and slickly directed and they take a few more liberties with the source material, but it's still quite well done.

Also, worth noting: despite the name, A Little Princess is definitely the more grim of the two stories, especially in book form.

Here's the FLM thread for A Little Princess viewtopic.php?f=25&t=999&hilit=Alfonso+Cuar%C3%B3n
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Hey thanks marvingray!

Now my youtube feed is showing me more early Trachtenburg material. I am actually familiar with those books of Burnett. I don't recall if I've ever seen A Little Princess, but I believe I have seen a rendition of The Secret Garden years ago when movies occasionally played on broadcast tv. I am sure seeing it now with a better appreciation of films like these, I will enjoy thoroughly.

If you enjoy Cuarón's work, you might be interested in Y Tu Mama Tambien. A bit more of a risqué material. Good performances from the leads.
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   1 likes

I have heard of that movie but I don't remember why other than the name looking very familiar...

Since you've heard of the books there's an interesting VN adaptation you've possibly not heard of: https://store.steampowered.com/app/4492 ... _Princess/ you take classes during the week and based on the classes you choose your stats raise that allows you to do bonding events with characters from the book. It's interesting lol. The same developer has a more interactive and gamified VN called Long Live the Queen where your mission is to get a 14 yo princess to her coronation. There's like a dozen or more different endings including many comical deaths. But im growing further degrees away from relevancy to this thread just thought I'd share those 2 games and they're esp worth it if you catch them on sale. Theyre both on steam and all of the consoles afaik.
pillowbaker

Oh that's cool! To be honest, I have been a little interested in that strange wide world of VNs (and LNs), mostly because of the existence of fan translating communities for both. But thank you for those recommendations and the link. Maybe it's about time I make a steam account. I am interested in any further recommendations, btw.

So with The Secret Garden, there seem to be many versions of the movie made throughout the years, and a few sequels, too. I notice we don't have the 1949 version. You think anyone would be interested?

Spoiler:

[Image]
Dean Stockwell and Margaret O'Brien
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   0 likes

my next goal is to watch the 1975 version as I hear it is fairly faithful to the book. It's also a TV miniseries, I believe, rather than a film. I have also heard positive things about the 40s version, and it has a 7.5 on IMDB making it the highest rated adaptation, as well as the 80s version seems to have its fans. Although, I have hesitation with the 80s version as it apparently has an older Mary Lennox narrating, which is a creative choice I don't generally enjoy

(they do the same thing in one of the movie versions of my beloved Madicken so I tend to just watch the tv series)

I am probably the wrong person to ask. To me the 93 version is perfect and it holds sentimental value. I was obsessed with the video game Secret of Mana as a kid and rented this movie just because it had the word "Secret" in it without knowing anything about the story at all, lol.

I have read and finished A Little Princess, but I haven't finished The Secret Garden book yet so I'm curious if this hat is mentioned as she wears it in this 70s version as well.
[Image]
[Image]

Here is a really good summary based on someone who is clearly a big fan from an amazon review:

"1949 Margaret O'Brien version: Not bad, very 40's, terrible music (sounds like it was written for The Wizard of Oz), b&w (except for the garden), melodramatic and rather gothic, Elsa Lanchester as Martha was incredibly annoying (constantly erupting in a phony, humorless titter, you can understand why Mary can't stand her), but the kids were not bad, though Dean Stockwell as Colin looked way too healthy and stocky for the part (not to mention sounding American).
1987 Hallmark Hall of Fame version: the less said the better -- truly terrible, with American children who can't act and a woefully miscast Barrett Oliver as Dickon. Yikes.
1993 Agnieszka Holland version: the most gloriously lyrical of the bunch - gorgeous cinematography, beautiful music and writing, and, though Archibald was kind of creepy, the rest were strong performances all around including probably the best Dickon of them all.
2017 steampunk version: um, oookay, no.
2020 Colin Firth version: terrific Mary and Dickon, Martha mostly sidelined, Colin (the son) an interestingly different take on the character, the most over-the-top garden of them all, and the magic was overt rather than subtle and natural. All versions make changes from the book which is fine, they are Adaptations not crib notes, but this one makes the biggest changes for no particularly discernible reason, changes that are mostly random and unnecessary."

As for the 70s version, so I don't have to add a further huge block of text I am just going to summarize their thoughts: Low budget BBC production, but excellent performances, more humanity in the characters. It was their favorite, but it was also a review OF that version so there could be biases there.

To be clear, of the two versions I have seen (93 and 2020) I agree almost 100% with these reviews, except I found Archibald being "creepy" to be a positive.
pillowbaker

I like it when reviewers make multiple breakdown lists like this. I wonder what this person might think of the "sequels" the story has acquired (Back to the Secret Garden, Return to the Secret Garden). I have heard mixed reviews of both. One of them features Camilla Belle, who I like, but I have remained uncertain enough not have given them a try. Certainly, I will have to give the 70s version a try. Lower budget film with an honest, solid attempt at production is exactly my style.

I agree, that a certain subtle creepiness to some characters is a great attribute to pre-2004 children's/youth movies. It does better capture the perception one would have at that age, rather than the overt cleanliness even the maniacal villains seem to have nowadays.

In an attempt to keep things relevant to the topic, I'll send you a pm about SoM. ;) Talk about sentimental value. Funny, the things we latched onto as kids in attempts to find similar material. Odd how well it worked in the pre-internet era. I did the same thing with similar fantasy terms.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

7- part BBC production from 1975 was one episode too short - Colin became well too suddenly
Haven't seen 2017 version but frpm the rest... 2020 was the most horroble for me. They adapted the story too freely.
Last edited by ferdi111 on Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.