[REL] Defenceless : A Blood Symphony (2004)

loverboy

[REL] Defenceless : A Blood Symphony (2004)

Post by loverboy »   26 likes

I was going to delay this release but as I have good upload at present here goes!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419679/

[Image]

Quote:
This "silent" feature (there is an amazing soundtrack, but there is not one word of dialogue) from director Savage (who also co-produced, wrote, photographed and edited) is a huge surprise and clearly his most personal, uncompromising work.
Though it's a revenge yarn, there's not a single other movie I can compare it to.
It's beautifully photographed (by Savage himself) and walks a very delicate line between art-house, exploitation and humanistic drama. The combination, which shouldn't work on paper, works beautifully here because of the director's sheer forcefulness of vision.
Susanne Hauscchmid is The Woman, a mother and environmental campaigner whose life is destroyed by the brutal actions of property developers. Her performance, virtually mute, is certainly one of the year's best and it's interesting to know that Hausschmid also produced the film with Savage and a tiny crew.
Child actor Bethany Fisher also delivers a superb performance as a young girl who befriends the battered Woman in a portion of the film that feels unlike anything the director has attempted before. It must be said that the director's obsession with the ocean, cemeteries and broken dolls is amped right up in this confronting but highly satisfying fantasy. Also amped up is the director's take-no-prisoners approach to the staging of grotesque but cinematically justified sexual violence. Additionally, one scene of self-mutilation involving breast slicing will be quite beyond the pale for most viewers.
The film won Best Film, Best Cinematography and Best Actress at the recent Melbourne Underground Film Festival. It's a remarkable achievement for sustaining its dialogue-free structure over ninety-eight minutes and re-inventing a long-lost cinematic tradition.
But be warned: Its staggering beauty is contrasted with equally staggering brutality and horror.
Savage's best so far.

[Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]
[Image][Image][Image]

Please read the synopsis & decide if this is something you want to download & watch. Certain parts are not for the squeamish! Our centre of interest (Bethany Fisher) only features in the second half of the movie.
This rip has been available on eMule but until now with no complete sources.
Not my work.......usual thanks to the originator.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.37 Gb]

Enjoy!
emuler

Re: [REL] Defenceless : A Blood Symphony (2004)

Post by emuler »   0 likes

:thumbsup Its staggering beauty is contrasted with equally staggering brutality and horror. My kind of stuff. :blush
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I like this kind of weired stuff ;) Thanks loverboy
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

Wow, loverboy! What can I say?

Looks like one of those hidden gems, that we chance to stumble on every once in awhile..

Really looking forward to getting this one! :eyecrazy

Thanks for digging this one up and posting!

kev.
sonnyjim

Post by sonnyjim »   0 likes

New here. Hello.

Thought you might like to know that there is another scene in the last twenty minutes of the film featuring a younger girl than Bethany. Actress's name is listed as Nikita Fisher. Character name is Little Victim.
[Image]
redcat

Post by redcat »   0 likes

This guy use his camera as a dumb.
He only use violence to be "arty" but his cinema is not original.
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

redcat wrote:This guy use his camera as a dumb.
He only use violence to be "arty" but his cinema is not original.
Nothing is original, redcat. ;)

Not sure what you mean by '...uses his camera as a dumb.', as I figure English is a second language for you [as it is for quite a few people here]; BUT if you mean because of Mark Savages' intense violent images you think his camera work is 'dumb', then I guess we can chalk that up your biased opinion which, like assholes, everyone has... :think

HOWEVER [though I'm not a big fan of violence for violence's sake], I found the movie rather fascinating, and I am VERY looking forward to the DVD [Savage Cinema From Down Under] that I just purchased from Amazon.ca!! :thumbsup

I view Mark Savage like Guy Madden from Canada; they both make the movies that THEY want to make regardless of what the hell anyone thinks of them. This film has more of a coherent plot line than most of Madden's films, though there is a bit of the abstract and surreal thrown in here and there.

You mentioned 'arty'; I DO feel that their work has a VERY strong element of 'art' to them, that in the case of 'Defenseless' worked to convey the sense hopelessness that all-consuming vengeance leaves behind...

Nothing is original, redcat; but 'Defenseless' is a fresh and thought-provoking movie that deserves more than the word 'dumb'... :wall

kev.
redcat

Post by redcat »   0 likes

Well, "like an idiot" if you prefer...

I recognize a forger when I see. I also recognize someone who have no talent. Not only the filming of the violence but also filming characters, scenes when peoples talk. Sadly I have the feeling to recognize any bad actors (on movie or politics when they are on TV). It's easily legible on their eyes.

And a camera is like a pen. Lot of times, some peoples here need subtitles. I don't need subtitles for understand movie. Cinema is not paint or book. Cinema is cinema. Directors use a filming language (etablished or discovered by full of directors during the last century). Even Hollywood movies use this language. Make a movie is on 3 steps: writing, filming, editing. To me, the editing is the most important. Put a scene after one, or reverse them not give the same sense to the complete scene. Movie pics always make sense. Even Hollywood movie (Godzilla for example): on the movie production, or if you use a black actor, or when you choose a good or bad end; all make sense. Because humans before the film (the movie is not done by robots). It's like causes and consequences.

Show me your movie and I will tell you who you are. Mark Savage have no talent, know nothing about filming and directing, have no art feeling (wtf this guy choosed to be filmmaker !? ) so he chose the easy to use tricks filming, in this case some violences.

Since Eraserhead, lot of bad directors try to make "The experimental movie". You need to be honest to do it. Some newbies directors think it only need to put violence scenes to make a supermovie.

Art is serious thing: directors must be perfect or they need to make another things (like sell fish for example).

-Ps: good filming is not the same thing as good plan, good draw: full of film have crappy image and are really good movies (Blair witch, Eraserhead, full full full).

-Ps2: when I saw this movie, I though to Nekromantik. I saw it long time ago and remember same feeling (shocking to be shocking, it's just fool).

-Ps3: Dammed, my translator gave me the "dumb" translation. :blush I used dumb as "idiot".

Edit: and I add that it's not the violence itself who "shocked" me. I'm not moralist. Violence can really good filmed (Tarantino, Kitano...). In the beginning, the first scene is ridiculous... with the tomatoes sauce on the face !!!??? Ridiculous. As director, if something is bad on your movie, you need to chose another way. It's what we call talent.

Infact Defenceless is commercial for MacDo. :biggrin
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

My favourite piece of violence is the nightclub Fire extinguisher bashing scene in Irreversible. Its so well done. Even the nightclubs music was designed to produce a certain frequency that actualy disturbs us, even if we think it didnt lol Yup, that’s good violence!

You might like to un-see this scene afterwards!

Obviously the other bit of violence in Irreversible is also good, but that goes without saying :eyecrazy

I look forward to Defenceless : A Blood Symphony, and hope it lives up to its name!

Thanks loverboy
loverboy

Post by loverboy »   0 likes

redcat wrote:Show me your movie and I will tell you who you are. Mark Savage have no talent, know nothing about filming and directing, have no art feeling (wtf this guy choosed to be filmmaker !? ) so he chose the easy to use tricks filming, in this case some violences.
This was always going to be a release that could invite controversy but I feel this is a somewhat sweeping statement. Let's not confuse personal taste with a bad or good movie................I've released plenty of bad movies but this isn't one of them........it's simply different, hence the warnings in the release.
loverboy wrote: But be warned: Its staggering beauty is contrasted with equally staggering brutality and horror.

Please read the synopsis & decide if this is something you want to download & watch. Certain parts are not for the squeamish.
Mind you.........I'm all for movies that promote a bit of healthy debate! :)